Problem with new build... no input.

sargx

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I tried to build The Crushinator

This is my first time building a computer, so take my inexperience into consideration. So last night, I put the PC together, followed the system builder guide, and everything went in without too much of a hitch. When I went to start it up and connect some peripherals to it is when I hit some problems. The USB's wouldn't seem to power anything. Keyboard and mouse wouldn't power up (i.e. no laser, no scroll lock/caps lock key lights, etc.). As such, my monitor wouldn't go active so I couldn't see if it loaded into bios or not. (Update: I can plug portable hard drives and a usb hub in and they get powered up.)

Steps taken: Reset the power connectors to the motherboard. Shorted the cmos switches to reset bios settings. Substituted keyboards and USB ports (both front and back panel). I tried connecting an old PS/2 Keyboard to check the bios, but the two different monitors would stay in power-saving states despite this. The PS/2 keyboard was so old that I couldn't guarantee it to work, so I bought a generic PS/2 which is cheap I can't guarantee it works. So I can't check settings in bios to check for USB.

According to the manual USB Keyboard/Mouse in MS DOS is set to Disabled by default.

So I'm at a loss of what I should do? Any ideas?

If your BIOS has usb keyboard/mouse disabled by default, how do you set up the bios? Sheer force of will?

(Possibly irrelevant: Instead of corsair ddr3 ram I used 6gb of OCZ gold ddr3)

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Do you have a speaker connected to the motherboard? If so, do you hear a pattern of beeps?

Have you tried booting up with a single stick of RAM? The OCZ Gold runs at 1.65v and the BIOS default is set at standard 1.5v.

It could also be the GPU. Do you have both PCIe 6 pin power adapters plugged into the GTX 260?