Overclocking in AMD Overdrive Utility question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Computer
  • AMD
Last response: in Overclocking
April 16, 2010 9:56:14 PM

I am using AMD Overdive Utility on my AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz Black edition processor. I have change my core clock to 4000mhz (4ghz) which I do by making the core multiplier 20x and the clock speed 200mhz, I also turn up the Voltage to 1.55 and when I apply these settings everything seems to be just fine and my temps go up from 24 degrees celcius to 32. So from my knowledge to apply these settings u press apply and change the green dot to one with a red ring around it, but when I got to properties under my computer it still says 3.2ghz and when I restart my computer it resets. Plz help! how do I get it to stay at 4ghz and tell me that under my computer, I'm kinda new at AMD Overdrive.

More about : overclocking amd overdrive utility question

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2010 10:44:54 PM

Welcome to Tom's, Heynow.

AOD is a good tool for establishing parameters for finding what your system is capable of as far as OC'ing, but your far better off doing it through the BIOS.

Setting a OC profile via software on start-up may not be a very good route to go. If your OC fails, you may have 1 L of a time getting back to default settings without doing a reinstall of your OS.
m
l
April 20, 2010 2:28:49 AM

Heynow76 said:
I am using AMD Overdive Utility on my AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz Black edition processor. I have change my core clock to 4000mhz (4ghz) which I do by making the core multiplier 20x and the clock speed 200mhz, I also turn up the Voltage to 1.55 and when I apply these settings everything seems to be just fine and my temps go up from 24 degrees celcius to 32. So from my knowledge to apply these settings u press apply and change the green dot to one with a red ring around it, but when I got to properties under my computer it still says 3.2ghz and when I restart my computer it resets. Plz help! how do I get it to stay at 4ghz and tell me that under my computer, I'm kinda new at AMD Overdrive.

First of all, enter the BIOS and turn off AMD Cool n Quiet
Then try OC-ing
But you better enter the bios and change the multiplier from there cuz it gives you more control.......
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
April 20, 2010 9:27:04 AM

From experience I'd say,
First reset your bios to standard settings, save them as a profile (out of the box) so you can always get back to normality if needed,

Then use the A.C.C. in your bios instead of overdrive, OD is really cautious when doing autoclocks, it would only ever put me to 3.2Ghz, I reset it all and used the A.C.C. to open up the fourth core again, then set that to 0% on all cores, then go down to the EZ overclocking bit on bios, and change it in increments to see what holds, Im on 20% at the moment and thats giving me 3.5Ghz on four cores from 2.9Ghz on three, I'm sure i could push things a lot more but im new to clocking as well and going cautiously, I just thought I'd share my exp and hopefully help you out a bit,
but the more I read on here, the more I learn, I really cant recommend enough for you to do the same and 40 seconds hunting on here found these links, happy clocking man :) 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/257700-11-read-firs...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/258573-11-overclock...
m
l
!