Sign in with
Your question

4870 Problems!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2008 6:26:44 AM

Ok... so i got a Palit 1GB 4870 when i first did my build... and it didnt work.. i checked it all out (see http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 3#p2405023) but it wasnt working

now i got a replacement 4870 ... so i installed it.... tried to turn it on.... and what do u know it doesnt work! so i tried reseating the card. booting with 1 stick of RAM trying in all different slots. tried other PCIe slot. tried molex to 6 pin connector instead of each 6 pin etc... when i put my old 8600 back in to check everything else was working fine there was no problems

when i turn the computer on (with 4870 in) it take about 3-4 secs before anything even starts up... and then nothing comes up on the screen, computer is still running but nothing is happening... the monitor says "No input" (or similar)

i was wondering if it might be the power supply, i have a 650w antec truepower trio. the 4870 takes 2 6-pin connectors... i have 1x 6-pin and 1x 6-pin + 2-pin... im pretty sure this wouldnt be there problem.

i tried my 4870 in a friends computer (he has a 850w PSU and a P5K motherboard [i think]) it didnt work in his computer either. i tried his 8800 GT in mine and it worked fine.

can someone help me figure out the problem pleease?

otherwise im just sending the 4870 back AGAIN and hoping ill get a working one. i cant send it away until the 5th of jan... and i was going to take it into local computer store but they dont open till the 5th of jan either...

rest of my specs are:

C2D e8400 @ 4Ghz
OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU cooler
2x2GB OCZ Reaper 1066mhz RAM
P5Q-PRO motherboard.
X-fi Titanium Soundcard.
750GB 7200RPM HDD
22" BenQ HD monitor.

(sorry if this topic is confusing lol parts of it are copied from another forum.)

More about : 4870 problems

December 28, 2008 6:56:29 AM

I don't know whats causing the problem, but it definitely isn't the PSU. It does appear to be the card. Odd to have two failures though.

Did you try defaulting the BIOS. Do you have a case speaker for POST failure beeps? If not get one out of a junk case and plug it into the mobo.
December 28, 2008 7:06:53 AM

Zorg said:
I don't know whats causing the problem, but it definitely isn't the PSU. It does appear to be the card. Odd to have two failures though.

Did you try defaulting the BIOS. Do you have a case speaker for POST failure beeps? If not get one out of a junk case and plug it into the mobo.

Ok ill try that soon... first gotta find a speaker lol
Related resources
December 28, 2008 7:26:31 AM

Did you clean out the old drivers before installing the new card?
December 28, 2008 7:32:03 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Did you clean out the old drivers before installing the new card?

1. It was a brand new HDD so there were no drivers on it

2. It doesnt even boot to BIOS screen so i doubt its a driver issue
December 28, 2008 11:19:35 AM

rma, two dead in a row - you kick some puppies recently or what?
December 28, 2008 11:30:32 AM

montyuk said:
rma, two dead in a row - you kick some puppies recently or what?

Actually i did crash a truck full of mirrors :D  lol

Well ive talk to the store and made a deal that if the third one is faulty i will receive a $100 gift voucher :D 
December 28, 2008 3:18:41 PM

do this get the new card and if it works, fry it, go back get your 100$ and rebuy a different card. i know i know but hey if it wasnt for us scammers the police would be sitting on their chairs doing nothing for an extra hour.
January 31, 2009 3:14:54 AM

For everyones information.

i got the 3rd card (ages ago forgot to update)

and it runs beautifully. nice and cool for a 4870 (never goes over 53 degrees C ) getting great fps in all my games (far cry 2, crysis warhead, cod4/5, scource games).

i put the card in a friends computer first to check that my motherboard/psu wasnt frying the cards and it worked fine. then worked fine in mine... i dont think it did anything... i think the first 2 were just faulty.
!