startup

I just installed XP on my home computer and whenever the
computer is booted up, it says to put in the card or
hit "Ctrl, Alt, Delete." Then, it wants me to put in a
password to continue loading Windows. How do I get rid
of this annoyance every time the computer starts up?
3 answers Last reply
More about startup

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an
    actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive and perform a repair install as outlined below. If the
    system isn't set to boot from the CD or you are not sure, you need to enter
    the system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter set press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if
    something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start
    over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your data backed up,
    you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
    should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
    wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "jen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just installed XP on my home computer and whenever the
    > computer is booted up, it says to put in the card or
    > hit "Ctrl, Alt, Delete." Then, it wants me to put in a
    > password to continue loading Windows. How do I get rid
    > of this annoyance every time the computer starts up?

    I apologize, my previous post was meant to include the following
    explanation. From what you are saying, it appears, when XP setup came to
    the network setup section, you chose "Log on to a Domain" as the function
    for your computer as opposed to "Workgroup." I suggested a repair install
    to fix the problem.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "jen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just installed XP on my home computer and whenever the
    > computer is booted up, it says to put in the card or
    > hit "Ctrl, Alt, Delete." Then, it wants me to put in a
    > password to continue loading Windows. How do I get rid
    > of this annoyance every time the computer starts up?

    Greetings --

    How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q315231

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "jen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just installed XP on my home computer and whenever the
    > computer is booted up, it says to put in the card or
    > hit "Ctrl, Alt, Delete." Then, it wants me to put in a
    > password to continue loading Windows. How do I get rid
    > of this annoyance every time the computer starts up?

Configuration Computers Microsoft Windows XP