Changing GFX cards (Nvidia to ATI), what should I do in preparation?

crystalklear64

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Hey all,
Got a 4870 1gb for xmas and am finally getting around to installing it. I know how to physically do it as I build my own machines, but I've never had a situation as the one I am about to have. I will be replacing my 8800GTS 320mb, obviously an Nvidia card, with this ATI card.

What do I need to do on the software side of things to get ready for this? Should I uninstall the nvidia drivers and then switch out the card then install ATI drivers? Can I just leave them installed incase I need to switch the 8800 back in? (father's 4850 has been RMA'd thanks to corrupt memory already so I'm weary of these ATI cards)

A somewhat related question, the latest ATI drivers have fixed the GPU fan problem correct? So I don't have to rely on some 3rd party app for that.

I'm sure some people might suggest to reinstall my OS when making a major hardware change, but I have neither the time nor space to do that.

Thanks!

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
yes yes and yes

you would need to uninstall the nvidia drivers, and if u have a driver cleaner program, run that as well.

then you would go on ati's site, and download catalyst 8.12 and install it. it will have the GPU fan settings for you to control. you don't need to reinstall OS for a change of graphics card at all. good luck

:)

crystalklear64

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Ok thank you!

But I have been reading so many scary things about black screens and screen resolutions being detected too high with monitors in vista so I am even more wary. In fact, this already has happened to me with my 8800gts, but I was able to plug in my TV via s-video and set the resolution correct. I just hope it doesn't happen to me again :(