Dual cpu amd motherboards?

saboughner89

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I was wondering if there are any motherboards out there that support 2 amd phenom (quadcore) cpu's. I realize that they make server motherboards for opteron processors, but do they make them for home desktops?

Nope. Not to my knowledge. Last dual AMD CPU mobo I saw was the Quad FX mobo they released to take on Intels Q6600 over 2 years ago. And it was Socket F (I think) which was 1207 pin CPU count.

As of yet, AMD has not released any plans to make a Quad FX Phenom mobo to combat Intels Skulltrail system.

4745454b

Titan
Am I missing something? If your looking for dual CPUs, why are you avoiding the server boards? The Opterons 2xxx, 4xxx and 8xxx are designed for multi CPU use, why are you looking only at the single CPU desktop chips? If you want that many cores, get the server board and the chips that can provide that many.

4745454b

Titan
Then post budget and requirements. You might not be able to afford the best, but at least that way you can get the best you can afford. In the past, dual socket desktop motherboards were rather expensive, its not like your saving a bunch there.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Usually for 200-300€/$ you can get a Dual Socket mobo. That is not much diferent from from a high end enthusiast mobo. Maybe a bit higher but that is all.

The problem is the CPUs. They just just increase in price terribly in MP configurations. I would love AMD launched a Dual Socket board for PII. Honestly. Now that the northbridge is getting stripped of functions, i guess with a bit of tinkering (AMD wise) that would be possible.

That was a system i would touch my savings account for. With a Crossfire...huuuuuuuummm.

It was a great reply to skulltrail aswell. 2 Phenoms, a bit more expensive board, and DDR2/DDR3 normal memory. Doing it for 600 2x940 + Board.

Oh, well, back to work !!

I got two cars to take care of now....My lancia and why the hell did i bought a 309 Gti. Oh wait, its fully restored and payed a dime for it !!!