Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Biostar T5 XE/T5XE RAID 1 setup?

Last response: in Storage
May 17, 2010 5:36:19 AM

I want to setup RAID 1 with two new drives on my Biostar T5 XE/T5XE setup.

I get to the "IDE/SATA Configuration" in the BIOS menu and can select RAID but there is no option for the differnet types of RAID. I am wanting to setup RAID 1

Is the RAID 1 selected during Windows 7 install?

I've searched here, looked through all the info that came with the mobo and checked the Biostar site with no luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Specs of the mobo: http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.ph...

Best solution

a c 93 G Storage
May 17, 2010 7:01:11 AM

Once you activated RAID in the BIOS and reboot you will see a new screen after the hardware has been detected. The screen will switch and the RAID controller will detect your HDDs.

You should see a line saying to hit CRTL+ another key to enter the RAID setup screen.
May 17, 2010 1:41:10 PM

I did reboot after I set it to RAID, but do not see the screen you are talking about or anywhere in the BIOS that it gives me the choice to select any RAID options :-(

Both drives, which are the same and new, are seen in the BIOS in the Boot menu under Hard Disk Drives saying:
1st Drive [RAID : SAMSUNG HD502]
2nd Drive [RAID : SAMSUNG HD502]

I might be seeing the screen you are talking about as the BIOS starts up? But it flashes by so fast that I cannot really see what it says. But now that I think of it I had not seen that screen appear before the BIOS menu appears before.

Since I cannot really see what it says since that screen flashes by so fast at startup, any ideas on what Ctrl + "what key(s)" to try?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 17, 2010 4:26:43 PM

I didn't notice an ich xx or nvidia raid or something similar in your motherboard specs. I don't quite understand why there would be a bios setting for a raid that doesn't exist?

If it helps, we worked through a mixup relating to windows 7 and the intel matrix storage manager in this thread.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/258542-14-boot-driv...

The thing is that win7 sets up the drivers for AHCI, RAID, IDE, or whatever you have set in bios when win7 is setup on your system. If you want to change from, or to, AHCI or RAID later, you need to tell win7 BEFORE the change.

Check the thread and you will see a link to a 'FIX' for this issue about 4 replys from the bottom.
m
l
May 17, 2010 7:01:32 PM

adampower said:
I didn't notice an ich xx or nvidia raid or something similar in your motherboard specs. I don't quite understand why there would be a bios setting for a raid that doesn't exist?

I am seeing this new screen as the BIOS starts. And it says to press Ctrl + "?" . But I'm not sure what that "?" key is. If it would just give me more time to view it, but as I said, I can barely see anything as it seems to be only visible for less than a second. If I can get to another menu that way, we'll see.
m
l
May 17, 2010 7:40:49 PM

Ok after starting and restarting a few times I was able to guess at what I was seeing. It was "Ctrl + I".
I got in and was able to set it as RAID 1 mirror.
Now I am loading Windows 7.
We'll see...

UPDATE: posting this from the PC using RAID 1 :-)
Thanks EMERALD!
m
l
!