Sign in with
Your question

Best Mobo for AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black?

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2008 7:41:05 PM

Upgrading to an AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black processor, but still trying to decide on a motherboard.

I have an old GeForce 7600 GT PCI-e 256MB video card I'll be using as well as an old pair of 1GB Corsair DDR2 xms2 RAM sticks. My power supply may be toast as well, but I'm focusing on finding a good mobo first.

I looked on the AMD website for recommended boards for this processor. I was hoping to get some further insight from the brilliant minds on this forum.

Here's my few questions:

1.) Should I look to buy a mobo with nVidia chipset since I'm using an nVidia video card? I'm not into overclocking, but I do play a lot of video games. Would an ATI chipset give me any problems with my nVidia card? Is there any reason to get a different mobo besides one on this list?

AMD recommended motherboards for the 9950

2.) What size (and brand) power supply should I look to buy if my current 550w is toasted?

I'm on a budget, I'd really like to spend $180 or less on a motherboard.

Thanks for your help.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
December 4, 2008 7:54:44 PM

If I were the one buying, I'd go for either the Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H (which I've used) or Biostar TA790GX3 A2+ (because I've also had good results with Biostar).
Since you play games, I'll assume you're going to want a better video card before too long. In that case, get an Antec Earthwatts 650. It is a great deal right now at only $60 at Newegg, and will power any single card out there now, with capacity to spare.

a c 103 B Homebuilt system
a c 330 À AMD
December 4, 2008 7:56:28 PM

This is probably the best mb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It will work fine with a single Nvidia card. pretty much any board with the 750 south bridge will do. There are few 790FX boards and all the 790GX boards to choose from.
Related resources
December 4, 2008 7:58:52 PM

1. Not at all. I am using ATI chipset mobo with nVidia card and had no problems so far.

Get a 790FX or 790GX motherboard with SB750 (MANDATORY). Thats the top notch for amd now and if you want to overclock it will give you that oportunity.

BTW Phenom II is on its way in about 1 month. If you can wait I would recommend you highly. Current speculations are that the 3GHz black edition will cost about $250 and if its correct it will be great value chip.

a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
December 4, 2008 7:59:33 PM

/TILT/ That particular board blows his stated budget. Some of the 790GX boards can be had for less than $120, so he could get the PSU too.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
December 4, 2008 8:01:13 PM

That's a great PSU, but not enough better than the Antec to justify the odds of not getting the rebate. If your budget for a PSU is $95, then by all means get it, but if not then get the Antec.
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
a c 330 À AMD
December 4, 2008 8:07:30 PM

jtt283, read further I said probably the best board but recommend any board with 750 south bridge. By the way 180 budget blown by 8 dollars and 99 cents.
December 5, 2008 1:38:01 AM

I got my Phenom 9950 BE running last night on my Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe. Though, I am still thinking about upgrading. I would go with any trusted brand (Asus, Gigabyte, etc) with a 790FX and the 750. Also, if you haven't tried Fusion, with the click of the button, you'll get a few extra FPS when gaming and having a AMD mobo will only help more.

You can download Fusion here:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_fusion.aspx?p=1
!