Problem popup message

G

Hello,
Please can you help!

I keep getting up this message on my computer:

"The Application or dll c:\winsows\system32\msible.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation disk."

What does it mean and how can I solve the problem?

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

If that's exactly what it's saying, it would be correct. There's no msible.dll but there should be a file named msidle.dll.

Could you please check that and clarify it and if it is msidle.dll, copy the file from the c:\windows\service pack files\i386 folder and paste it into c:\windows\system32 folder then agree to overwriting the existing file.

G

Hello Tom, thank you for your quick reply!

I checked to clarify as you suggested and it is definitely: "\systen32\msible.dll"...if you are saying (msible.dll) doesn't exist, but that (msidle.dll) does, than how should i dill with it from here?

Liz

G

Tom, back again.

I have been searching through my hard drive to look for: "system32\msible.dll" and found it. I opened it and found it stored all my images which i have saved in my documents.

I am concerned if i delete this file I will loose all my images!

I hope i'm not being a nuisance with these problems!

Liz

First off, I'm not Tom as in Dr. Tom Pabst who founded this Forum - I'm just one of the many hundreds of regular posters who chip in advice where they can.

I think you may have a malware attack which is causing this file to be called and for Windows to complain that it doesn't comply with its parameters for a normal dll or Dynamic Link Library file. Go to http://www.malwarebytes.com and download MalwareBytes. Install and update it then restart your computer into Safe Mode with Networking by tapping the Function 8 key before Windows gets a chance to load.

MalwareBytes or MBAM for short, might want further updates and that's why you need the networking running. When it's finished, click to run the Full Scan and when that completes, click on the Show Results button and then on Fix Selected. Restart again and do nothing this time so it goes into Normal Mode and you should be in the clear but if that file shows up again, go back into MBAM and scan in Normal Mode and also click the Logs tab then copy and paste the Safe Mode log back here for more advice.

For reasssurance, click your My Pictures folder and make sure everything shows up as it should. One dll file does not store all your photographs so if MBAM thinks it's a baddie and bins it, you will still have your pictures. If you have any doubts, wait for a second opinion.

G

Tom found that not only the correct "msidle.dll was already in System 32 but, also msible.dll was there too...don't know how that came about!?

Anyway, deleted the incorrect msible.dll and all is good!

Thank you so much for your help

Liz :)