GTX 260 Screen freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpfr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Issue is after couple minutes into any game (Crysis, HL, Mass effect) they usually freeze up and the screen has huge pixel (red, blue color depending on where the game froze) usually have to restart my computer, but this has never occured when i am not gaming. I have updated all the drivers, ran memtest, Monitored the temps (CPU is at 52 and Graphic card at 47 when it occurs). I do not know what the next course of action is done everything i know, has anyone encountered anything similar to it. Is this something simple like bad graphic card ?

Config:
Case ( Coolermaster HAF 932 Full-Tower Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply Black )
Power Supply ( 680 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (4x 2.83GHz/12MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )
Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
Motherboard ( [SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB EPU Technology )
Memory ( 4 GB [1 GB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Video Card Brand eVga
Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Thanks

DirkNoName

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Same Problem here

when i start a game its freez

@ my Config:
Case ( Antec Performance One P180 )
Power Supply ( Zalman ZM600-HP )
Processor ( Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 )
Processor Cooling ( Arctic-Cooling Freezer 7 Pro )
Motherboard ( [Asus P5Q )
Memory ( GeiL 4 GB DDR2-1066 Kit )
Video Card ( XFX GTX260 Black Edition )
Hard Drive (Samsung HD753LJ )
CD/DVD Drive ( LG DH-16NS + LG GH-22NS )
Network Card ( Linksys WMP54G )

Hope Some One Can Help Us !

email/msn Dirk.NoName@gmail.com

Thanx anyway !

kungfuanomaly

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I'm having the same problem in Crysis now that I've reached the aircraft carrier battle. I can play for about 5 min before my PC completely freezes looping the last sound and the screen going either black or redish in color forcing me to hard reboot. What's weird is I can play STALKER, Left 4 Dead, & C&C3 for hours with everything to the max without issue. I've ran Prime95 on all eight cores (4 physical 4 virtual) for 11hrs & 33min without error so it has to be the cards or drivers.

Specs:
Core i7 920@3.4Ghz
Gigabyte EX58-Extreme
OCZ 3G1600LV3GK
2 x XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
PC Power & Cooling 750 Silencer

I've tried running each card individually but still the same issue. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Crysis with all the latest patches but didn't work. I just submitted a help ticket to XFX to see what they say b/c my suspicion is that it's an Nvidia driver issue. I found this thread where a bunch of gtx260 users appear to be having the same problem(s) some worse than others http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17944911. A bunch of them are downclocking the core to get it to run stable but that isn't always working for everyone in the thread and doesn't really explain my situation of only one game failing so far (guess I should install some more games to see if I can get another game to fail).

I'll repost when I get a response from XFX or find any solution.

G

I have the same problem on my vista hard drive. on my other hard drive i have xp and there I can play any games without any problems. but on my vista hdd i can only play for 1-15 mins Age of Empires 3 before the scrteen freezes and i have to reboot the comp. ive also tried everything that i can think of, but the problem is yet to be solved.

DirkNoName

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
OK maybe i FOUND somthing ?

NVIDIA SYSTEM INFORMATIE
Videogeheugen systeem: 0 MB
Gedeeld systeemgeheugen: 0 MB

NVIDIA SYSTEM INFORMATION
VGAMEMORY SYSTEM: 0 MB
SHARED SYSTEMMEMORY: 0 MB

AND XFX SENDED A REPLY TO ME

The told me PSU NEEDS 40 AMPS on the +12 volt line ( I HAVE 42 )
The told me to scan my HD @ Memory ( both done no errors )

Greetz Dirk Hope Some On Have Some Information Soon ! :) thanx

Cpfr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
I got replacement evga 260 core 216 card have not seen the issue yet. I have seen other people convincing the seller to ship them another manufacturer or even gtx 280 since there seem to so many issues with 260.

KungFuAnomaly
Could be driver issue try other games does it happen only during that certain part of crysis or happens 5 mins into crysis? Could just the game, download couple other games and give them a shot.

kungfuanomaly

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Ok, now I've tried Dead Space which seems to work fine but when I try HL2: Episode 2 with everything turned up it freezes within a couple minutes of playing (this will be a major problem for me if it occurs with Episode 3 whenever it comes out).

My friend recommended uninstalling the Nvidia & Realtek drivers, restart in Safe Mode, use Driver Cleaner Pro to finalize cleaning, restart back into Safe Mode, Install Nvidia drivers 181.20, restart back into Safe Mode and install Realtek drivers, restart again regular and install Direct X. Did this last night and it still froze on me for HL2.

I do have some good news in that I was able to play through Crysis after I lowered the resolution to 16xx and set Shadows and Particle Effects to Medium. I also installed RivaTuner and bumped my GPU fans up to 60% but I couldn't play through the game with that alone, it required the lowering of settings (I'll try lowering some settings with HL2 to see if that works as well).

Still disappointing that I'd have to lower anything using the hardware that I am... it definitely seems like it's software related to Nvidia's drivers since some games run perfectly with everything cranked up and others don't. I'll install some more games to see what works and what doesn't.

I had purchased an eVGA 260GTX 55nm card and did something similar. After a while it would lockup, give me artifacts of all sorts, and either lock up or go back to windows with a driver error.

I returned it to newegg for a refund and got a 4870 1GB and never looked back.

kungfuanomaly

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

If Nvidia doesn't get their act together, then my next card may be an ATI card too (I've been with Nvidia since my GeForce 2Ti)

NVIDIAs drivers have been BAD lately. I ran on 178.24, i'm trying 181.20 now, as the others crashed my GX2...

I want to get off the GX2 at this point, due to horrendus driver support, (I dont want an X2 period at this point), but nothing short of a 280 would be an upgrade...

I still think the dual GPU solutions need work. If you take 2 4870's and run them in SLI they just SCREAM. Likewise with SLI. I'f I had the board to do it I would buy 2 cards and do CF or SLI.

Cpfr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
i believe its defective GPU not driver issue cause my new 260 seems to work on 178/180/181 drivers.

Or it could be that drivers are poorly coded that it is breaking or not working with some GTX 260s?

netchem

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
That might be the case, but I'm about to RMA my second 260 GTX, both had the same problems: The card works great for a few weeks, then all the sudden, lockups. I know it's not a heating issue as the GPU temperature never rises above 45 degrees C (I'm using an Antec 900 Two and I've added the optional 120mm side fan, and keep the card fan @ 60%).

When I RMA'd the first card, the admitted that it was faulty. I expressed concern to them indicating that I had no way of knowing whether or not the next card would have the same problems - they assured me that the card was thoroughly tested before it went out, but I still have my doubts. Hopefully, they'll replace it with a 275 or better. I'm fed up with this 260.

sumofugu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I have had the same issue with the lock ups.. Did anyone ever fix it without having to exchange the card? I didnt notice it in the beginning because I was not playing such graphic intensive games but as of late it happens all the time. I dont think I still have the card under warranty at this point.

G

I have had the same problem with my GTX 260 BE. I figure out that it was fan speed problem. When I play any game, fan speed won't go more than 45% that's why it was overheating. The only solution i found is EVGA Precision. This is free software you can google it. In software I set speed of the fan to 70% manually and playing any games without any problems.
See if it helps.... Sorry about my english :)

G

I am getting the Leadtek NVIDIA® GeForce GTX260 Extreme, 896MB 448Bit DDR3, CUDA, PCI-E 2.0 same as my friends card and he plays crysis on max settings with no problems... no lock-ups or anything...

I had the same problem when I overclocked my MSI-6600GT 3 years ago... it used to lock up and stuff on some games but it was because of the card overheating... I am still using my 6600 GT and well it is getting old and so doen my PC... I am going to buy a new mobo 2... wanted to go indel but from what I heard it has bios problems so I am going to go with Gigabyte... getting 4 gigs of ram with a core 2 quad Cpu running at 2.66 Ghz...

Do you all think I should go for the GTX260 Extreme from Leadtek??? I won't be playing Crysis but I will be playing COD4 and CODMW2 and NFS Shift :)

well gl fixing the problems...

tweakbz

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I wish I knew how I could help you guys. From the outset though, it could be a heat issue or insufficient power. Even if you're PSU shows 40 amps, and your card requires 40, or your PSU is a hair above, you need to remember that there is other hardware drawing from the same source. When you play a game that puts strain on your hardware, like Crysis, things are bound to happen. It could be any game for that matter.

(knock on wood) My new rig I built in the last week or so has had zero problems. Everything when in fine, booted up first time, no crashing, overheating, etc. Hell, it booted into my old OS perfectly fine with all new hardware, BEFORE i installed Win7.

I thought that was a trip :D I had forgotten to back all my stuff up, but then I was given a 2nd chance, hehe.

Paul_76

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Same problems here...I RMA my first GTX 260 from EVGA...great customer service btw...and having the same problems...even w/o gaming...sometimes upon boot...the screen just freezes with what seems to be an extreme close up of whatever image was about to come up...this too happens when i try to watch a video or TV show on line ex/ Family Guy @ Fox on Demand...

Even upgraded to 7 thinking it was Vista...Windows told me it was a driver issue and that the drivers NVidia had as "7" were not properly working and that a new driver was due by the end of Nov 2009...

Still w/ new driver...same problem...going for the RMA again with a plea for upgrade

Config MB: P5Q PRO / EVGA GTX 260 OC ed. / Window 7 64 bit / SilverStone Strider 700 w 80-plus / ANTEK 900 case /Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 @ 2.83 ghz /4 GB RAM

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Guys,

I had the same issue in Crysis on the very last level on the aircraft carrier. Try playing that level with Direct X 9 and it should solve the problem. What happens is all your memory is used up so it crashes.

Paul_76

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I have 4 gigs of RAM...are you saying I should upgrade to 6 or 8 gig? I rarely game any longer...i tried Fallout 3...wich worked for a while, then the crashes started...but before that, i was strictly MMo City Of heroes/Villains...I would love to get this gear up to play Champions on line, Star Trek On line and DCUO!!!

kungfuanomaly

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
OMG I finally figured out the fix for these cards!!!

I've battled my XFX260 BE's for years and the only thing that worked was down clocking and raising the fan speeds until now. To fix your cards and get them running at the proper factory clocks of 666 with the fan speed set to auto-control requires lowering the voltage within the BIOS of the cards by flashing the BIOS of each of them. M@NH@X has posted the instructions in this thread which I have verified work:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=193229 (I'd do one card at a time and make sure you have a backup)

You may need to look up other instructions for more details on flashing your cards as I did, but after I was done, I ran my cards for 2 hours straight at factory defaults and they did not hiccup once. Normally at factory defaults they would crash after about 2 to 15 minutes of gameplay.

This is the only true fix as I've already tried everything with drivers, formatting, RMA's with XFX, new memory, new PSU, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.