CPU upgrade vs Eyefinity

Been posting here trying to help folks for a few months, been a reader for a long time. Come to the point where im thinking thru a few things. I can either:

A. Upgrade to an Intel platform. 2500k with a z68 PCI-E 3.0 xfire combo

or

B. Buy 2 19 inch monitors to stick next to my 28 incher in portrait mode for Eyefinity.

So, I ask, Which do you think id get the most bang for my buck. My comp specs are in my sig and im happy with what im getting performance wise, however I want to be bowled over if im going Intel. Or blown away by more real esate on my table top.

Not looking for fanbois, I want either solid evidence of the performance increase id gain, so many places with benchmarks its like a whirlwind sometimes. If I start getting fanboi responses just gonna start calling ya all f'in tools and shut up. This isnt a debate of AMD vs Intel or AMD vs Nvidia, cause well 7970s in crossfire is orgasmic. Simply looking for Vet opinions or people with similiar setups to give some insight and what not. Thanx in advance, I hope.

Hi :)

Personally I would go for the monitors, although I would go for 24 inch IIYAMAS..

My reasoning is you already have a good CPU in the 1090, good ram and decent graphics cards..

Assuming you are a gamer, you wont get much advantage from the 2500k...

My gaming machine is similar to yours....1100T , 16 gb Ripjaw, 5870s etc etc...

I wouldnt change to the Intel....too much money for too little advantage...

All the best Brett :)

Hi :)

My Ilyama`s at work spin 90 degrees ...Portrait or Landscape....

All the best Brett :)

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I'll start off with, an i5-2500k will help very much so with your current system w/ 2x 7970. BUT!

With eyefinity your resolution is going to be so extreme that it'll drive your FPS down as it is (or keep it similar depending on the extensiveness of your current botleneck in some games), giving your CPU less work (FPS) to need to handle (keep up with).

I will add, don't worry about PCIE 3 atm in most games.

You are running in 8x/8x mode 2.0 as you know (which is the same as PCIE 16x 1.0 or PCIE 4x 3.0) however your performance shouldn't be affected much in most games.

These tests were done in 1680x1050 with a 7970. Your performance is 4x on these graphs.

43816.png

43817.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5458/the-radeon-hd-7970-reprise-pcie-bandwidth-overclocking-and-msaa