Sign in with
Your question

Newbie overclocking a Q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
April 17, 2010 4:13:19 PM

Hi. I was in graphics cards with this topic and it seems my lack of overclocking is what's holding my system back, not my graphics card. I tried reading the sticky here but once it started talking about individual vcores it completely lost me and I don't want to screw up and kill my system. I'm not running a stock cooler, I'm using this. Also, in the OP in that topic, I posted screenshots of everything CPU-Z says.

If you could help clarify how to overclock my CPU, that would be fantastic. So far what I could gather from the sticky is I need to go into the BIOS and

set Modify Ratio Support to "Enabled"
set AI Tuning to "Manual" if it's necessary to see the options
set CPU Frequency to 333
set PCI Express Frequency to 100 MHz
set PCI Clock Synchronization to 33.33
and the CPU VCore to 1.2625

Is that correct? Thanks for any help you can provide.
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 133 à CPUs
April 17, 2010 8:08:58 PM

You got it. Make sure your RAM is running in 1:1 ratio too if its not you could overclock the RAM to high and will result in instability. Also Vcore settings will vary from 1 processor to another. Use Prime95 to test stability run the Blend Test for at least a few hours once you hit the desired frequency. And be sure to monitor your temps.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 172 à CPUs
April 18, 2010 10:41:37 AM

What kind of motherboard are you using? That's really important. BIOS's are really different brand to brand.

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

If you hapen to have a Gigabyte motherboard, this is good:
Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Keep your temps below 70 C and your vcore below 1.50 volts.
m
l
!