PQ5-E weird probs after install

mitch2471

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hi there, hoping some of you guys can help with some strange issues I am having with a new motherboard I have just installed, an Asus PQ5-E. I have installed Vista 64 but am having some strange results. All the components worked fine in my old Foxconn board so am pretty sure these issues are motherboard specific.

1: the system spins up both DVD drives at power on to check for discs. It then does it again as part of the post & then again when actually loading vista, round about the point the Windows logo is coming up & the little green bar is flashing across showing Vista is loading.
2: Random crashes, not showing a BSOD screen. This mainly happens when I am playing music. I get a couple of interruptions in the music every few minutes & then the system just jams.
3: The temp’s are very strange. Everest is reading the 4 cpu cores at around 25-30c but the temp for the core overall is around 20-25c. Last night I used DIVX to DVD, all seemed fine then the Asus AI suite started flashing showing a warning that the cpu temp was 109c! Everest was still showing low 20’s. I stopped the DIVX to DVD, stopped AI suite & Everest. When I re-loaded AI suite it still showed the cpu temp as 109c, when I restarted Everst it showed the cpu temp as 109! But displayed the 4 cores at between 25-30c. As a precaution I pulled the plug. When I re-booted & checked the temp in the Bios menu it showed the cpu temp as 19c. I think the 109! Reading was false.

I have never had strange reactions like these when putting a system together. Anyone have any suggestions?

System Spec
Asus PQ5-E motherboard
4x1gb Corsair Dominator 1066mhz RAM
Q6600 Quad Core 1066FSB
ATI4870 graphics card
Esi maya sound card
800W PSU

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
DVD spinning on startup - check the Boot order in bios, make sure the hdd is the first device in order.

Crashes: did you set your memory(voltage,timings,speed) in bios manually? Also, if you think its sound related, you can try pulling the sound card out and use the onboard audio to see if the problem persists.

Crazy temperatures - have a look here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-250576_11_0.html

Core temperature is normally 5c higher than the CPU temperature - read Computronix great guide on temps http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-221745_11_0.html

mitch2471

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hi there

thanks for your help. Spotted some articles basically saying the main cpu sensor is prone to false readings. Sorted the audio crashing situation. Vista had installed some drivers for the onboard sound which was clashing with my sound card. De-activated them & all ok. Only prob I have is the DVD roms spinning up 3 times at start up. Very strange, boot order is sorted. Had already flashed the bios in windows, thinking about trying it using ez flash but any other suggestions are welcome

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Actually i just realized that mine does something similar(i have p5q-pro), but it never bothered me because i normally dont have a disc in my drive, so i dont really hear it. But yes, after pressing the power button if i listen closely i can hear the drive spinning the motor 3 times. It might(or not ;] )actually have something to do with the Bios recovery option, as you can roll your bios back to original version from the driver cd if you get it corrupted, so maybe thats why it looks for a cd right at the start. But as I said, i was never bothered and i cant tell for sure why its like that.