2 computers + 1 monitor, 1 mouse, 1 keyboard

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Ok i have two computers at my workstation here at work. One is a crappy office dell that has all of my database access programs and stuff i need for work, the other is my nice new quad core gaming rig. I have them both hooked up to a monitor, the dell through d-sub vga and the gaming rig through dvi, and i just switch between inputs whenever i need to stop gaming and take a call on the support line (sometimes i love my job). Problem i have is that i have to try to cram two keyboards, two mouse pads, and two mouse (wtf is the pural on that anyway?) on my limited deskspace. I'm wondering if theres some sort of USB switchable Y-shaped cable that i could plug one set of keyboard/mouse into and have it split off to both computers, with some way to select which computer to input to in-line. I've done some searching, but havent found anything yet. Any suggestions?

*edit* btw, I've read about the synergy program, but i want something that wouldn't mess with my lightning fast FPS skillz ;)

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Its called a KVM switch (keyboard, video, mouse). They in many varieties to accomidate dvi, usb, vga, audio etc. look for kvm's on newegg.com, Make sure you note max display resolution on the kvm and whether its dvi or vga

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
yeah i was lookin into kvm, but i dont really need anything that switches the video since i already have that built into my monitor. I actually just installed Radmin and i'm just going to use the remote desktop controls of it to access my work computer. so problem solved i guess! thanks tho

They are called "Mice." Like M and Ice. Mice.