Ram Timings - What Do They Mean To Me?

Timings are latencies on RAM - the greater the latency, the greater time it takes for the RAM to relate information to the CPU etc, thus lower latencies or timings are better, as it is faster and increases performance. However, this performance increase generally isn't noticeable, apart from benchmark applications. An example of latencies for DDR3 RAM are 8-8-8-24. Better timings would be 7-7-7-20. Worse timings would be 9-9-9-27.

fisshy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Timings are latencies on RAM - the greater the latency, the greater time it takes for the RAM to relate information to the CPU etc, thus lower latencies or timings are better, as it is faster and increases performance. However, this performance increase generally isn't noticeable, apart from benchmark applications. An example of latencies for DDR3 RAM are 8-8-8-24. Better timings would be 7-7-7-20. Worse timings would be 9-9-9-27.
So therefore 9-7-7-21 Isn't bad?

correct me if i am wrong but is latency the time it takes to Refresh a memory inside a CPU cycle?

I am sitting at a LAN right now and that's what the guy next to me said... :sarcastic: