Trying to up the voltage in my ati 4890

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
k trying to up the voltage ln my 4890 ati card but none of the programs i tried will let me do so i am sure i have one of those cards that they say u cant increase the voltage but wondering if this is away around this k thanks for any info

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

yes tryed these programs but the line to increase voltage is greyed out on msi afterburner and nothing shows up for overclocking on reva tuner

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Did some readding about this not being a standard card really dont know waht that means what makes it diff from the other 4890 out there ? and if it is whats wrong with upping the voltage why can those card do it but this one not ?

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
hate to sound pushie but really would like to know if anyone can help on this matter not finding any info on the net on how to go about working around this problem so guys if u can help me out here

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

i can overclock in catalyst the mem and raise the gpu speed but its unstable at 930 wanted to up the voltage so i could reach 975 or a little more have a friend running his at 975 by upping the voltage but his card is a msi card mine is an xfx card he uses msi afterburner with no trouble but when i use it the voltage settings r greyed out

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

i am wondering sense it is a overclocked version if that has something to do with it hell who know lol i just keep looking to see if anyone else has this problem

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Most non-reference cards can't tweak the voltages in the registers.

Is there any specific reason that you need another 45MHz overclock? Keep in mind that increasing the voltage can harm your card, permanently. Also, not all cards will be able to hit the same speeds, be stable at the same voltages, or even have the same temperatures as another card, it's all the luck of the draw.

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

cool bleach pic but as to your ? right now not worried to much about heat water cooling both cards just dont understand whats the diff with reference cards and non reference cards to can a bios flash change mine to a reference card ?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
No, it can't. What it will do (if it will complete) is brick your card. Reference cards are ALL made with the same PC board design, usually just after a new line is released. Though some may use custom coolers, they all have the same layout.

Non-reference cards usually take a month or two to be released, having updated PC boards with some different onboard components (usually better/more efficient VRMs or different RAM chips), but cannot use the same BIOS, as, at the very least, the VRMs use different values in their registers.

And thanks about the pic. It's actually a moving GIF image, but when I uploaded it to Tom's a looooooong time ago, they didn't support moving GIFs. I've tried reuploading it, but for some reason it doesn't replace it with the moving one. :/