Upgraded Palm OS and lost contact categories

June 16, 2005 7:34:41 PM

I upgraded from v.4.1 to v.5, and all of my contacts are now listed as
"unfiled". I have a backup in v.4.1, but I'm afraid to sync and lose
the categories from my back up. Also, the backup on my laptop hasn't
been updated in a couple of months. So, if I sync with the option
"Desktop overwrites handheld", I'm concerned that I'll lose the entries
that are only on the Palm. Any helpful suggestions?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:32:11 AM

captain.midnite@gmail.com wrote:

> I upgraded from v.4.1 to v.5, and all of my contacts are now listed as
> "unfiled". I have a backup in v.4.1, but I'm afraid to sync and lose
> the categories from my back up. Also, the backup on my laptop hasn't
> been updated in a couple of months. So, if I sync with the option
> "Desktop overwrites handheld", I'm concerned that I'll lose the entries
> that are only on the Palm. Any helpful suggestions?

What you ought to do whenever you fear loss of information is back up your
backups. If your username is <JohnSmith>, make a complete copy of your
profile directory (usually PATH/Palm/<JohnSmith>, but I am not sure about
Macs). Then, try applying the necessary changes by synchronising. If the
result is undesirable, you can overwrite your profile directory and make
sure that the desktop overwrites _all_. That's because your PDA may have
had a change in state.

Some features in OS 5 are inconsistent with OS 4. A safe way to make the
switch is to synchronise the new device with the old version of Palm
Desktop first. Don't upgrade Palm Desktop for a device that is not
compatible with it.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz