September 11, 2011 10:00:25 PM

why would you ever want to do that?
Score
September 11, 2011 10:15:54 PM

cannot use some app's or even watch a video
Score
Related resources
September 12, 2011 5:43:11 PM

If you want to change from 64-bit to 32-bit, the only way to do that is a clean install. It is not possible to change architectures like that without starting from scratch.
Score
September 12, 2011 5:52:36 PM

Exactly, you got to reinstall but this time using the 32bit cd. The cdkey is the same for both.

Most apps are both 32bit and 64bit compatible. The only apps that need to be specificly 64bit is all those related to hardware (hardware monitoring softwares, printers, webcams, graphic cards, any drivers, etc...). Most already have a 64bit version available. There is no point to go back to 32bit. Anyways it's up to you :-)
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 5:52:48 PM

mark_33 said:
cannot use some app's or even watch a video

Well, switching to Win 7 32-bit will not fix this issue.

Care to post specific information on your computer and the exact issues you are having?
We could probably help you get to the root of your issue...
Score
September 12, 2011 5:56:27 PM

to watch a video you need the appropriate codec for it. Use "Combined Community Codec Pack" to get all of them in one package.

CCCP:
http://www.cccp-project.net/

After installing these, any player should be able to play any music or video types that exists out there.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 5:58:33 PM

I hope you don't have more than 4 gigs of memory because if you do and you switch to 32-bit Windows, you won't be able to use any more than 4 gigs of it because 32-bit Windows can't access anything greater than that. This is where posting system specs would be helpful for us.

If you can't watch a video, sounds like a hardware or driver problem to me. Or, as someone else mentioned, you don't have the correct codecs installed.

As for apps, depending on what it is, you could use Windows XP mode to run it in an XP virtual machine. However, you have to have Windows 7 Professional in order to download and use it.

But, if you have an XP install CD lying around, you can download VirtualBox or VMWare Player. I use VMWare player myself.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 6:04:40 PM

MrBig55 said:
to watch a video you need the appropriate codec for it. Use "Combined Community Codec Pack" to get all of them in one package.

CCCP:
http://www.cccp-project.net/

After installing these, any player should be able to play any music or video types that exists out there.

You are of course assuming that his computer is powerful enough.
It could be that he is rocking an ancient singlecore system with 1GB RAM and a GMA950 ;) 
isamuelson said:
I hope you don't have more than 3 gigs of memory because if you do and you switch to 32-bit Windows, you won't be able to use any more than 3 gigs of it because 32-bit Windows can't access anything greater than that.

Not quite.

64-bit Windows can address 4GB of memory.
The problem is that this 4GB includes the system RAM, VRAM, BIOS, soundcard and all other system devices.
It could be that he has a 4GB 6990 which consumes all 4GB of addressable memory for itself or a GMA950 which only sips 64MB away from the addressable limit.

Score
September 12, 2011 6:28:35 PM

mark_33 said:
How do I downgrade from 64 bit to 32 on window's 7? Help!

Im sorry to say this but, if you have 64bit do not down grade. Win 7 already will run anything you need in 32bit hense Program files(x86).
If you are rocking an old rig, the size of Win is the same. And if you installed the 64bit your setup is x64 capable so you should have no issue.

The reason for not seeing videos are codec’s, drivers (what vid processing are you using?) bug, or maybe just a simple corrupted file. We need much more info to tell you for certain.

The 64bit is the way to go, so unless you really want it dont. Win 7 x64 is *more* stable than win 7 x86. This isnt xp SP1 days anymore.

Also x86 is limited to 4 GB, whereas x86-64 can reach an insane amount, in which I hope we don’t reach on this instruction set.
Score
September 12, 2011 8:24:29 PM

mark_33 said:
How do I downgrade from 64 bit to 32 on window's 7? Help!

I have a Toshiba brand new 2011. It will now download adobe flash player. It will but you go to use it & it says download flash player again, this is an upgrade i believe. AMD C-50 processor with 3.00gb
Score
September 12, 2011 8:25:32 PM

window's 7
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 8:33:04 PM

Alright then, the C-50 is no powerhouse but it should be able to handle basic flash videos (although I am not sure how it will handle 1080p content).

Try This Link to get Flash and be sure to update your video drivers from Here.
If that still does not work, try using Google Chrome as it has flash integrated into it (no additional instillation is necessary).

Also, be sure and uninstall all the junk programs that came preinstalled on your netbook.
All that junk soft is most likely slowing your system way down from what it is capable of.
If you know how and have the inclination to do so, reinstalling Windows would be a good option.
Score
September 12, 2011 8:48:30 PM

this is the site i am using for flash. would it do any good to reset to factory setting's?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 8:53:42 PM

I doubt it would hurt, but I doubt it will help any.
Factory defaulting your netbook will just ensure that all the junkware is running in the background.

Try giving Google Chrome a try.
Flash is integrated into it so you do not need to worry about installing the standalone version.

Also, make sure to update your drivers.
I remember hearing that some of the older drivers for the Ontario platform where having issues with hardware flash acceleration.
I believe this has been fixed with the latest driver releases.
Score
September 12, 2011 8:59:14 PM

how do I update these drivers?
Score
September 12, 2011 8:59:41 PM

have Google chrome
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 9:06:25 PM

Well, if you have Google Chrome already, that would explain why you can not download the flash installer ;) 
The Adobe site detects if you have flash already installed and will stop you from downloading the stand alone version.
Instead, try and go to the Flash download site with Internet Explorer.

The latest drivers are Here, simply download and install.
Score
September 12, 2011 10:28:39 PM

there are 2 download's there download both?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 7:18:13 AM

No, you just need the Catalyst Software Suite.
The other download is just an updated CrossFire (multi-GPU) profile list.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 2:39:21 PM

outlw6669 said:
You are of course assuming that his computer is powerful enough.
It could be that he is rocking an ancient singlecore system with 1GB RAM and a GMA950 ;) 

Not quite.

64-bit Windows can address 4GB of memory.

That's what I was saying. I did see I said 3 gb of memory when I meant 4 gb of memory, so that was a typo on my part. :o 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 3:20:17 PM

Ah, no worries then :D 
Score
September 13, 2011 4:51:21 PM

now all it will do is go to launch start up. but the arrows won't work so I cannot get it to start window's normally. I ran the error ck it said it could not fix it on what it had.& my wife is pissed..........
Score
September 13, 2011 4:51:48 PM

please help! :( 
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 6:26:30 PM

Sorry, I am having a difficult time understanding what issues you are having now.
Could you more clearly post exactly what is happening now and exactly what you did before this issue began?
September 13, 2011 7:13:25 PM

i downloaded flashplayer google chrome again.(Unistalled it then reinstalled it). Then i was going to do a system retore back to factory setting's. something went hay wire & now it show's the black screen with white writing where you launch window's normally or do a system ck. Trouble is the arrow's won't work at all. It will not let me type in the pass word on start up when It was showing then went to this screen i said before.now it is the only thing that will pull up. ty outlaw you are a big help!
Score
September 14, 2011 2:07:39 AM

outlw6669 said:
Sorry, I am having a difficult time understanding what issues you are having now.
Could you more clearly post exactly what is happening now and exactly what you did before this issue began?

Thank you so much outlaw! I finally figured it out. You took so much time in trying to help me and I want to say Thank You again for your time!!
Score
September 14, 2011 2:08:23 AM

Best answer selected by mark_33.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2011 5:36:31 AM

Hey, I am glad you solved your issues.
If you run into any other problems just drop a post!
Score
a b \ Driver
a c 395 $ Windows 7
September 14, 2011 10:40:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!