Sign in with
Your question

Something's wrong with my build

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2008 1:56:53 AM

Just build a new pc today with much trouble (first time).
Now, I finally managed to get it to turn on, but I didnt have an lcd screen handy, so I tried to use an old ctr screen. That may have been the problem though. I connected it and there was no signal. So, is this my video card's problem (new 4870) or just my monitor.

Note: my new monitor is supposedly coming tomorrow

More about : wrong build

December 5, 2008 2:08:28 AM

not really any way to tell, just have to wait it out
December 5, 2008 2:14:23 AM

If your old CRT monitor is good, then POST info should be displayed. Did you connect everything, including CPU power?
Related resources
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2008 2:20:27 AM

I doubt it's a hardware problem at all. My guess is that a power connector isn't connected correctly. Could you post the complete specs of your build so we have an idea what we're working with?

+1 for checking the CPU power. You have to connect both the 24-pin motherboard power connector and the 4/8-pin CPU power connector to the motherboard. The CPU power connector gets missed a lot on first builds.
December 5, 2008 2:23:30 AM

oh.......
by cpu power, do you mean fan or fan and cpu
thanks though, that might be my problem

Build: it is pretty good for a first build
antec 900
intel core 2 duo at 2.66ghz
sapphire hd 4870
good psu, dont remenber the name
4 gb or corsair ram
and i think thats all the important stuff
December 5, 2008 2:24:22 AM

GhislainG said:
If your old CRT monitor is good, then POST info should be displayed. Did you connect everything, including CPU power?

What do you mean by post?
fyi, I couldn't get a connection to my pc, iit just kept saying no connection, but the screen was working

edit:
I am pretty sure I connected a 20something or so pin, pretty long, but are you suppose to connect 2 of them? That may be the problem
December 5, 2008 2:27:26 AM

hrmmmm.... refresh is my friend.

we need more detailed specs, what is the exact model of your CPU, please find out the exact make and model of your PSU, and also the exact make and model of your motherboard. Also, what speed is the ram?

It doesn't sound like it is POSTing. (POST = Power On Self Test)

The cpu power they are referring to is this:

On the bottom left hand corner it says "8-pin CPU power connector"; follow that red line and you'll see the white connector on the motherboard with 4 pin-holes exposed and 4 covered up (because 4 pin connectors are more common, so they cover up the extra 4 used by 8 pin connectors; if you have an 8 pin connector only then would you remove the cover)
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2008 2:31:28 AM

if the system beep once when you powered on its POSTing OK . Thats a good sign .

If there was NO beep then a power connector is probably not connected . Motherboards need two connectors the big one is 20 or 24 pin. Theres another smaller one with either 4 or 8 pins . Both need plugging in .
December 5, 2008 2:32:46 AM

what is the smaller one for?
is it for the cpu?
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2008 2:33:17 AM

You still didn't list the model of your motherboard, but here's a picture that might help:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...

The CPU power connector in that picture is an 8-pin connector by the CPU socket. Your motherboard may just have a 4-pin connector or an 8-pin connector with a cover over 4 pins. That's the power for the CPU and the computer doesn't have a chance of posting without power to the CPU. Look up CPU power connector in your manual.
December 5, 2008 2:35:15 AM

u mean the bulky one near the edge?
December 5, 2008 2:38:52 AM

Refer to my post and picture above, you can clearly see the 4/8 pin cpu power connector we are talking about.
December 5, 2008 2:39:49 AM

ah.....
so, do I just use a normal plug from my psu?

wait, is it molex? I don't know what to plug into it
December 5, 2008 2:48:08 AM

No, not a molex.

That PCP&C should have both a 4 and 8 pin connector, they should be white. The 8 pin connector on your motherboard is by the very edge of the board, the bottom left in the image that shortstuff linked
December 5, 2008 2:50:59 AM

ah.... thanks for the help so late at night guys (est)
Ill try it tomorrow when I come back.
December 5, 2008 2:56:17 AM

No problem, let us know how it goes.
December 5, 2008 7:14:06 PM

Ok, here are the results.
I got it to work on my old ctr screen, and the new lcd didn't come yet.
I installed vista 64bit and got it working.
Now im suppose to install things like the video driver right?
I only have 3 cds: catalyst, the mobo cd, and the dvd driver cd. I dunno what the mobo and dvd driver cd do though.
December 5, 2008 7:53:09 PM

hmmm..... I got the oem or vista home premium 64 bit, doesnt seem to be there
December 5, 2008 7:57:08 PM

nvm..... wrong link
also, do I need these?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?str...*+Home+Premium%2C+64-bit+version&lang=eng&strOSs=159&submit=Go!
Im don't really think these would do anything, but im a noob so tell me if im wrong

edit: monitor just came. Can't see anything wrong with it so far, but I have yet to connect it and use it. Im kinda busy so I can't.
Also, the screen came with a cd, do I need that too?

edit: also, should I get things like the latest video codecs?
December 5, 2008 8:53:23 PM

You don't need these (unless you don't know what processor you have).

Just select Vista 64-bit.

Monitor drivers should be installed; otherwise you might not be able to select the correct screen resolution, etc.

Where did you see separate video codecs for the HD 4800 Series?
December 5, 2008 9:09:38 PM

no i didn't mean separate video codecs, I mean something like divx to prepare you for the future or something

edit: to make things a bit clearer, I meant things you might want to have on your system before you really start using it, like say an antivirus
December 5, 2008 9:13:46 PM

GhislainG said:
You don't need these (unless you don't know what processor you have).

Just select Vista 64-bit.

Monitor drivers should be installed; otherwise you might not be able to select the correct screen resolution, etc.

Where did you see separate video codecs for the HD 4800 Series?

I know what processor I have, but I don't think you can choose. And if I do know what processor I have, do I need it?
sorry, you're kinda confusing me
December 5, 2008 11:44:53 PM

The tool is available for people who bought a PC without knowing what processor is installed. It happens more often then you might think. In other words, you don't need that tool.
December 6, 2008 12:31:23 AM

hmmm.....ok so the internet didnt work for a while. Then rebooted and stuff till it did work.
Now, the odd part is, my router has a password, yet I got in without needing one. Mb its because I used ethernet
December 6, 2008 12:55:43 AM

Option 1 contains everything that you need. If you already have Catalyst 8.11, then you shouldn't need anything else.
December 6, 2008 1:35:07 AM

so tell me if im missing anything you would find important (including things like internet browsers n stuff)
firefox
steam
norton
catalyst
December 6, 2008 2:13:01 AM

Mozilla Firefox 3 is an excellent browser.

Catalyst 8.11 should already be installed.

You should get a good anti-virus program. I'm not familiar with Norton, but several very good and free antivirus programs are available (Google for them).

I'm not familiar with Steam.
December 6, 2008 4:04:23 AM

need help again
now, after testing out my rig for a while, I plugged in the speakers. They worked for a bit, then stopped. After a while I figured out part of the problem, but not all of it. I can't get any sound, though the mono can pick up that something is plugged in.
a b C Monitor
December 6, 2008 4:15:16 AM

Have you tried reading the manual?
December 6, 2008 12:15:56 PM

The manual will most likely provide a hint about the requirement to install audio drivers.
December 6, 2008 2:45:41 PM

u sure? Cause I already installed the audio drivers, upgraded them ( ill try to do it again) and im sure the plugs are all in the right places

edit: still can't seem to find the problem, HELP
December 6, 2008 3:15:55 PM

What type of speakers? Stereo (2.1), 5.1? If stereo, are they connected to the green connector? I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but there should be an audio setting for Analog or Digital output, etc.
December 6, 2008 3:22:46 PM

0.o
I think one problem was that the thing was plugged in wrong, and that the top jacks on the antec 900 are really bad, and they keep coming out.
that may have just been my problem
December 6, 2008 3:29:33 PM

GhislainG said:
What type of speakers? Stereo (2.1), 5.1? If stereo, are they connected to the green connector? I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but there should be an audio setting for Analog or Digital output, etc.

got it to work, but I will probably just connect to the io pannel in the back.
Yes it is 2.1

edit:

o noes, it stopped working again! I tried to plug it into the back, and it didn't work, so now i tried to plug it back into the front, and then it still didn't work. WTF
December 6, 2008 4:00:45 PM

How did you set the front audio? AC97 or HD and did you use the correct connector on the motherboard? Not all motherboards work well with both the front and back audio enabled. It also depends on your case, which I know nothing about.
December 6, 2008 8:58:01 PM

well, the back doesn't seem to work at all, but can detect when sometyhingis plugged in.
I did connect hd and that is what the mobo has

the sound works now, but I should work at it
December 7, 2008 12:28:22 AM

O NOES, SPYWAREZZZZZZZ
FFFFFFFFFFFCK
!