Sign in with
Your question

Installing windows XP on a 320gb PATA drive

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 17, 2010 6:38:44 PM

Hello, Im trying to install windows XP on a new 320GB WD HD that is in an Inspiron 600m. I booted from the DVD/CD drive from the BIOS but the it does nothing, just a black screen, PLS HELP!!
a b G Storage
May 17, 2010 11:19:23 PM

Is this a full XP cd or a specially branded one? Oftimes stuff like dell cds won' install on other computers. If this is the original inspiron cd, that shouldn't be an issue.

Other ideas. You might have to set the boot order of the drives in the BIOS so that the CD drive is on top, or in other words being checked for bootable media first. This is especially important with CD/DVD drives because they take longer to detect a disk and so the BIOS often hears from them too late and tries to boot from the hard drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 17, 2010 11:43:54 PM

does the hdd show up in the bios
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 18, 2010 8:07:51 AM

Its the original windows xp SP3 that came with the Dell Laptop Inspiron 600m Computer.

I have tried the booth order change, on the quick men F12 and on the BIOS complete menu F2 and it does begin to load the disk the DVD/CD drive light is on but the sudently it stops and screen goes black and stays there.

Not sure where to look on the BIOS to see if the HD shows

I have re-installed windows xp on the same computer 3 weeks ago but having a 160GB and everything I described here worked perfectly, but now with the bigger HD it goes to black, could it be that W-XP does not allow this big HD at all?, PLEASE HELP!!

Notice that Im installing this new HD as an internal not external USB HD, dont know what Im doing wrong
m
l
a b G Storage
May 18, 2010 1:56:53 PM

IDE drive, 4 things to check..
1. Jumper on drive set to master.
2. Drive plugged into the last connection on the cable.
3. Cable plug oriented in correctly. (Red Stripe plugged in closest to the #1 pin if the cable does not have a notch, some do not)
4. Remove any other Hard Disk drives, do the install with only the Hard Drive you want the OS installed on in the system.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 18, 2010 5:26:21 PM

Well, thanks but there are no cables since its a laptop, no other HDD are in place since there is only room for one, I checked the HDD and no jumpers, the only thing inb place is that in order to fit it into Dell's dock they use like and adaptor than goes directly on the HDD pins and convert them from pins into somthing like a memory card kind of pins I dont know if Im making any sense I could take pics but not sure if I can attach them here
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 18, 2010 8:06:45 PM

Now when booting from W-XP Installer DIsc it says:
"Press any key to boot from CD....
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Then press Ctrl+Alt+Del, and the same thing occurs over and over again

Does this mean that my new HDD is bad or that the Windows XP installer CD is the bad one?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 18, 2010 9:55:40 PM

Well, something is wrong. I'm almost tempted to say, "grab your favorite linux distro and see if it works".
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 2:29:14 AM

Quote:
Well, thanks but there are no cables since its a laptop, no other HDD are in place since there is only room for one, I checked the HDD and no jumpers, the only thing inb place is that in order to fit it into Dell's dock they use like and adaptor than goes directly on the HDD pins and convert them from pins into somthing like a memory card kind of pins I dont know if Im making any sense I could take pics but not sure if I can attach them here

Whoops, I am sorry about that, I tried to shoot you an answer quickly as I headed out the door this morning. Missed that this is a laptop completely!
It is beginning to sound like a problem with the install disk to me.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 4:46:14 AM

Does the disc look scratched or smudged? Try using a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean it, then try again.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 8:47:58 AM

It does look a little smudged, let me try cleaning it a bit to see if that works.
Hey guys but are you all sure w-XP will handle a 320GB HDD? Im not an expert so sorry for asking
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 11:23:07 AM

Sure. I've got it running on a 640 gig one. The proper cleaning motion for a cd is to wipe it in a straight line from the center outward. If you rub it in circles you can cause it to skip. Also, hold it up to the light and see if there are any spots in the shiny coating which have been scratched away.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 3:47:53 PM

Quote:
It does look a little smudged, let me try cleaning it a bit to see if that works.
Hey guys but are you all sure w-XP will handle a 320GB HDD? Im not an expert so sorry for asking

yes xp-sp3 can handle that drive, sp2 or earlier on the other hand would only see a portion of the drive but are still able to use them
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 3:59:47 PM

SP2 allows you to see more than 137GB.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 5:09:21 PM

I stand corrected forgot because your not supposed to slipstream sp3, but you can with sp2 and that shows the whole disk.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 8:37:51 PM

Ok, I have tried 2 diff W-XP installation CDs making sure they are not scratched and they all stop at the same point, the weird part is that when I try ton install vista it goes right through, but I dont want vista at all, specially in that old computer, what other options do I have? HELP HELP
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 8:48:58 PM

Am I better installing DS Linux or another distro? just want to use this computer for the basic e-mail and wef surfing and some document viewing not much like using Excel or VB ny suggestions guys?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 9:15:17 PM

If that is what you want, GO FOR LINUX. I have linux mint on (think, think) three computers now, and it is going great. It is based off of ubuntu, but with a nice update manager, a green theme (which I like) and many codecs installed by default, so that you don't have to jump through hoops to play mp3s or flash movies (not that I like flash). It comes with firefox and thunderbird mail client, and I find it very easy to set up. If you have any more questions, just ask :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 9:16:59 PM

And just to be clear, I don't like flash because of their security problems, not because I am a rabid "free as in beer" fanboi (though I don't mind the concept).
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 9:39:40 PM

It could be a problem with the CD/DVD drive. If the XP disc is a CD, and the vista disc is a DVD, the optical drive may be failing and not reading CDs.
m
l
May 19, 2010 9:59:57 PM

I dont know if it is the CD. I had this problem with Dell's before. I tried installing xp sp3 onto an IDE 320gb hd, but once it booted off the cd and restarted to get to installing the copied files, it kept displaying the disk read error.

I tried the same hd in a different Dell with a different CD, same thing. Stuck the hd in an HP, tried both CD's that I had before and it worked perfectly. I do not know how or why (might be a coincidence) the Dell's would display that message when the hd is new.

After I had xp installed, I tried sticking it into one of the Dell's and it would still report a disk read error after the Bios screen.... I have yet to figure this one out. But imo, it has something to do with Dell's hardware.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 11:49:53 PM

Some Dell's have a OS install mode option that needs to be enabled in the BIOS.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 20, 2010 3:23:14 AM

aford10 said:
Some Dell's have a OS install mode option that needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

That's interesting
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 20, 2010 7:27:13 AM

Im using Dell's windows installing CD/DVDs would you recomend that I download windows XP from other source lets say an .iso file and then make a CD/DVD and see if that works?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 20, 2010 11:25:52 AM

I'm not quite sure about the legality of that. If it is the BIOS setting which aford mentions, that won't help. You could try a linux cd and see if that works, since I'm sure that's legal.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 20, 2010 4:18:38 PM

the dell serial number will not work without a dell disk, if you use another version of win you will need another serial number (different version meaning not dell)

I would try a linux cd for the shear purpose of seeing if it works, as aford10 stated your drive may not be reading cd's correctly
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 21, 2010 4:39:55 PM

ok, I have installed VISTA and it went ok, but when I boot from HDD it says "Disk error" how can it be a disk error when I can install Vista on it and I can format it putting it in a USB enclosure and formatting from another windows 7 based computer? By the way when formatting it only shows 290GB, would that had anything to do with all these problems Im having?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 21, 2010 4:44:38 PM

Try booting off the Vista disc. Use the repair tools to get to the command prompt. At the command prompt, run chkdsk /r <--This will scan your hard drive for physical errors and try to fix any it finds

If there was a pre-existing recovery partition, did you delete that partition? If not, that's likely where some of your missing space is. However, a 320GB hard drive isn't really 320GB. If you want to read more about that, google binary hard drive space. Your 320GB hard drive is probably more ~299GB.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 26, 2010 9:14:08 AM

Im gonna try to do smaller partition where the OS may reside and keep all other unallocated then will try using a partition softawre to allocate the space once I get W-XP to boot, everything else have failed, wish me luck
m
l
a b G Storage
May 26, 2010 11:52:50 AM

Luck wished
m
l
a b G Storage
May 26, 2010 11:54:15 AM

Quote:
Im gonna try to do smaller partition where the OS may reside and keep all other unallocated then will try using a partition softawre to allocate the space once I get W-XP to boot, everything else have failed, wish me luck

Are you the OP?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 27, 2010 12:28:02 AM

Good point. I didn't know you could post anonymously on this site.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 27, 2010 3:42:28 AM

If you don't register your account, or you delete your account, your posts change to anonymous.
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:12:36 PM

I ran into this issue last fall and there was a flurry of posts here about it. It sounds like your laptop BIOS isn't 48-bit LBA compatible (most older laptops that use PATA drives use only 28 bits), and most laptop makers do not offer a BIOS upgrade to cure this problem. This means the BIOS can handle only 137.4 GB of hard drive space. Since the BIOS only interacts with Drive C, there is a simple cure to let you reliably use the entire hard drive space -- make two logical drives, and make sure Drive C is within the BIOS capacity.

Make sure you are running a recent version of Windows (Windows XP SP1 or later, Windows 2000 SP2 or later or a newer version of Windows).

1. Use EaseUS Disk Copy to clone your old drive (drive 0) to the new one (drive 1).
(If you reboot with the old drive still installed, be sure to disconnect the USB drive.)
2. Install the new drive and boot to it. It will have the capacity of the old drive.
3. Install EaseUS Partition Master and use it to resize Drive C to 137.4 GB.
Verify that Windows Explorer reports Drive C as having 128 GiB or less.
4. Use EaseUS Partition Master to create Drive E and give it the rest of the hard drive space.

Splitting the drive into two partitions this way will save you tons of grief. I have been using these large drives in old P3 and P4 laptops running Windows XP (SP1 or later) for close to a year and have had no issues.
m
l
!