Overclock E6600

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
So I have my E6600 oc'd to 2.7ghz right now. Just a minor overclock

I upped it to 2.8 and ran orthos and Asus PC Probe II set of an alarm stating it was too hot. Im pretty sure it beeped at me when the temp reached 65C. I can change the threshold higher, but that it what it was defaulted too.

Is that within the safe range temperature wise?

Im trying to OC as much as I can with the stock cooler.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

With so little information, I would say that you have hit max with the stock cooler. You could reapply a good thermal paste and try again, but you should consider a good aftermarket CPU Cooler. There are many to choose from, but take a look at a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Great price and performance. I am using it on a Q9550 @ 3.6 my temps are 34c idle and 56c load.

If you are curious here a link to a video of my rig. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EusoPORfQ

There are many good OC guides, here and everywhere. Do some research, you won't regret all you will learn.

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Processor - E6600 conroe OC'd to 2.7ghz
Mobo - Asus P5N32-E-SLI Plus
Ram - 2x1gb Super Talent DDR2
Sound - Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 700W psu
harddrive - 2x320gb harddrives in Raid 0
graphics - EVGA 8800GTS 640mb

Are there any aftermarket coolers that are just as quiet as the stock intel?

fisshy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

I second that, ask anyone... that CM 212 Is a Brilliant Cooler

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The CM Hyper 212 plus requires the installation of a backplate and is taller, yes a better cooler than the AC Freezer 7 Pro rev 2, in my opinion. (I own both). The AC Freezer pro is slightly quieter also IMHO. If the OP is looking for an easier install and quiet fan, for a slight to moderate OC, he may be happier with the smaller cooler.

Yes, I do love my CM Hyper 212 Plus.

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Back plate as in behind my motherboard?

That is no good. It would be more trouble than its worth trying to remove my mobo from my case to get behind it. I would literally have to take my whole computer apart.

Also, space will likely not be an issue. My case has plenty of room inside.

I guess I am looking for a quiet cooler that requires no backplate installation.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
There are many options. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 does not require a back plate, and is "easy peasy" install, and is quiet with a 92 mm fan.

It is the same cooler in my system with the link above, I added the Cooler Master badge to it, cause it looks cool. Don't let that throw you. I haven't seen a "cool" Arctic Cooling badge yet.

Here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

This is just a suggestion, take a look at your options, and review while you are there. You really should get an aftermaket cooler and some good thermal paste, if you would like to overclock. Arctic Silver 5 is very popular. See their website for proper application for your processor.

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Okay. So I went to Frys to see if they had it.

The only coolers they sell in my price range for LGA775 is Xigmatek X3, Kingwin XT-964, [strike]Zalman CNPS9500A LED[/stike], [strike]Hyper N520[/strike], Dynatron EVO11.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Im more than happy going through newegg, I just figured I could return it easier at frys if I dont like it.

They had the Hyper 212 Plus, but as I understand, it requires a backplate, which wont work in my situation.

I am going to research these coolers to see which dont require backplayes. But if anyone has any experience with them let me know.

EDIT: N520 requires back plate. From what Ive read, with zalman, price/performace ratio isnt that great. Paying for bling basically.

fisshy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
As Far as i know the Cogage True Sprit Doesn't need A backplate. But why are you having this debate anyway? if you want performance you've gotta put in the hard work!

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9403/cpu-tri-62/Thermalright_CoGage_True_Spirit_4-Heatpipe_Core_i7_CPU_Cooler_Socket_LGA_1156_LGA_1366.html

cpu-tri-62.jpg