RAID Bootable? Nope =(

jestersheepy

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
My BIOS recently got updated by overclockers.co.uk, what I wasn't aware of is that it wiped my Raid setup.. And because it did that it cut all of my files in half on each drive (Cant boot operating system)... How do I get data off of the raid?

The overclock update was just updating my BIOS setup to fix any errors for voltage and memory (i7 920 @3.8ghz).

When I load up the configuration Manager for the Raid my drives stand as:

ID - Name - Level - Strip - Size - Status - Bootable
0 - Volume - RAID0(Stripe) - 128KB - 1863.0G - Failed - No

Port - Size - Type/Status(Vol ID)
4 - 931.5GB - Non-RAID Disk
5 - 931.5GB - Member Disk(0)

My OS: Win7

Hope someone can help in anyway, I have really important work on the system.

Try to recover via system backup and restore - choose RAID1 (mirroring) instead of RAID0 (striping).

In RAID0, if one disk fails, you lose all data, whereas in RAID1 if you lose 1 disk the other disk has identical data

Good luck

jestersheepy

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have just bought a SATA to USB adapter, I will see if that works... My hard drives havent failed, the array has just reset to default (No raid) because my BIOS got reset.
When I try to create volume it says there isnt enough room and every other option says it will wipe all data. :(

Put all the settings back the way it was, do not try to build a new array, simply select RAID 0, enter your RAID BIOS, select the 2 drives, don't build, format or do anything else, reboot, go back into the standard BIOS, see if the array is there, set it as bootable, good luck.

I have done this many times after a BIOS update, and really all it requires is you getting everything to do with your array set back exactly as it was. It will work if you have not done much with the drives since the update.
If you have messed with the drives too much though, you are in trouble, and if RAID 0, you are out of luck. You cannot do anything to recover them.

jestersheepy

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Heya, I am pressing Ctrl + I to get to the RAID Manager, any settings I change there asks to reformat the drives. I have the settings of:
1.Create a RAID Volume
2.Delete RAID Volume
3.Reset Disks to Non-RAID
4.Exit

There must be more to this?

matz59

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

Hi!
I've got the exact same problem. I did a BIOS upgrade and some time later (not directly I think and this is sort of strange in it self..but anywhay) the PC (HP with 2 internal disks that I realy don't know the original config for) will not boot and it says failed volume not bootable for a RAD 0 volume ID 0 that have the size of the combined two disks and the disks themselves have the same status as you had for your disks (one of them seems to belong to the volume , member disk(0) and the other is Non-RAID Disk). First I tought that there was a diskfailure but if I hit F12 during boot and choose disk diagnostics the both get status PASS. You explained some stuff to configure in BIOS but cant follow the description, sorry. The first problem is that I do not know what configuration there was from start? Where do I select RAID 0 and how do I enter RAID BIOS? Is this under F2/SATA Operations? I tried that bot got the same result. Where /how do I select 2 drives? Is this under F2/DISKS and then just turning them on (enabling them) ? They allready are enabled. What is meant by "standard" BIOS? I thought I just had one? Where do I observe the Array? How do I set it as bootable?

Regards
/matz

matz59

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
OK, But do you have any suggestions for the configuration in BIOS? I realy don't think the disks are broken. I think there is some faulty configuration that I don't undertsand?

Jitpublisher has the correct info above in that you should be able to recreate the raid via the raid bios by adding the two drives back into the raid volume. Just be sure not to do anything in there that warns of destroying data.

Looking at your raid bios options it appears you can't create an array and add drives to it without initializing it first which will destroy any current data.

Did you actually select the option for create array? If so, did it warn of losing data? If so, you may be out of luck.

If all else fails and you're stuck losing the data, I try the option for create array, add the two drives back in and do nothing else in the raid bios. Don't try to partition or format the raid either, just boot up and see if windows can see anything.

matz59

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hi and thanks for your answers!! I have not yet deleted or created any volume (I'm to scared to do that right now) I have just looked at my options iether in BIOS config or under CTRL-I and I can't find anywhere to change the configuration in some way that it will rebbot. I cant add the No-RAID disk (that for some reason is no longer a member...if the problem is that it originaly was?..which I sort think) and all my other efforts changing RAID options in BIOS (under SATA opreation) does not help either. Hoe do I add the 2 drivers back in to the volume?

TRENDING THREADS