Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Performance problems and component choices

Last response: in Overclocking
April 18, 2010 8:51:05 AM

Hey, i would like someone that knows their stuff to please help me out with an issue here. I have a serious performance issue with my system that I've neither the time or the patience to to sit and figure out, and I'm also low on cash. How i can over clock my core2cuo E4600 where i can actually get some REAL performance out of it?
I have read in the past that the Allendale's and Conroe's are supposed to be able to overclock really well. i am running at 2.65GHz right now-but I feel that it can go a whole lot higher than that and still run stable.
Here are my system specs...
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MICHAEL-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0407, 10/29/2008 NOTE: -THIS IS THE LATEST BIOS ASUS HAD FOR THIS BOARD-
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Michael-PC\Michael
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.32 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.10 GB
Page File Space 3.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

My graphics card is a EVGA Ge Force 9800GT 512MB GDDR3 and i have a 400 watt Cooler Master PSU and my case is very well ventilated

(About the 3GB of ram-it's a 2gb PNY stick in the #1 slot and a 1gb Hyinx stick in the 2nd slot)
my main boot drive is a 160gb Seagate barracuda 7200RPM,there are 2 other 160gb laptop HDD's(both 5400 RPM), and 1 80gb western digital caviar 7200 rpm.
I have had to cut corners because of limited funds, and its no wonder im having trouble, but until my next upgrade-I wanna get the most out of what i have here

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 18, 2010 11:24:26 AM

Yes. You should be able to get up around 3.0 GHz.

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 200 MHz, your memory clock should be at 400 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Your RAM will take a little more work than usual because it's mismatched and will run in single channel mode.
April 18, 2010 11:33:34 AM

jsc said:

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 200 MHz, your memory clock should be at 400 MHz.

Your RAM will take a little more work than usual because it's mismatched and will run in single channel mode.

k cool thanx,but also-according to my BIOS -its running in dual channel asymmetric -which-i dont really understand in what way thats different from regular dual channel...
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2010 11:44:05 AM

jsc said:

one other thing too, and this might seem like a stupid auestion. my cpu is rated for a max of 1.35 volts, and its running at 1.317-1.344. am i going to fry this thing if i manage to go up to 3ghz or higher? its a 2.4ghz cpu,and since i posted my first message this morning i have pushed it from 2.65 to 2.71 ghz,and im not sure how long its going to run. my mobo resets as soon as an overclock doesnt work so i can go right back in and change it...
m
l
April 28, 2010 3:59:55 AM

Best answer selected by michaelangelo.
m
l
!