future rig compatibility check

old27

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Soon to order a new rig but have not built a computer in many years. I wanted to check with others about the parts I think I like and
for the most part CHECK FOR COMPATIBILITY.
I am NOT a big overclocker. If I have some Xtra cash I will get a fan and OC the i7 one multiplier or so.... that is about it.
I am also not a HUGE gamer. I love games but do not have to play the newest games the day they come out. (I know) Blasphemy.

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000
ASUS P6T deluxe MOBO (with or without OC Palm???????) (I am thinking without) (see above)
intel core i7 920
corsair xms3 trichannel 3 GB 1333 MHZ (will get another 3 or even 6 down the line)
EVGA GeForce 260 (will get a 2nd down the line)
I need a name brand Power Supply with around 750-850 Watts that has a top fan and a blue LED.... any suggestions?
Western Digital HD-caviar 640 GB
Windown Vista 32 or 64 (undecided)

Even with 2 260's I think I will still have one standard pci and one pci-e slot unblocked by the cards (tight fit) for a wirelessN card and a sound card.... as long as they are each of one of the two types.

If I am mistaken about anything pls let me know. I look fwd to ordering products in a few days. wanted to post first.. Thanks

old27

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
thanks for the info on the PS. (to be honest I picked the first one with a blue LED and enough power for my rig..... with all the research I was doing on the rest I forgot to go back and check up on my pick.

I will Not be getting that PS. especially because the most of the other "name brand" PS's I am looking at now are the same price!!

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
agreed that psu is a no no!!!! PC Power and Cooling has a good one out there that's pretty cheap as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
They also make them in different colors if that's something that is imporant to you (sounds like maybe it is?) Both this and the crosair ones are some of the best on the market. Both will power your needs later on down the road when you do your upgrades as well.

Vista 32 bit cannot see more than 4 gbs of ram. That is why you most likely want to go with vista 64 bit.

Something you might want to consider is going with 3x2gbs of ram on your first pass. Its harder on your motherboard to run 6 sticks of ram vs 3. 3gbs should be plenty but you will see a preformance increase running vista with 6. 6gbs of ram will last you for a long time. Might not need to upgrade this in the future.

The ASUS P6T Palm is a overclocked edition. Since you note your not a big overclocker this is really something you don't need. Just go with the normal edition.

Other than this looks to be a good build.

old27

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I agree with the psu thing........ I was trying to find a good brand psu with a bottom (aka top) intake fan (for the way the Cosmos is set up). I also want one that will look good in the case. (I am thinking a blue led would shine out of the bottom of the case) (ground effects!!)

THINK I FOUND IT!! OCZ / GameXStream / 850-Watt...... what do you guys think? It has a high rating on the brand tier and has everything I was looking for (I think) it's only $134 after rebates.

and I know I need vista 64 but I am military and can get a GREAT deal on 32. May just bite the bullet and pay the $ for 64.

I did not know that the palm is overclocked?? I have never read that anywhere but I will look into it. I know that the palm is supposed to help with overclocking but I was not sure what else it is good for. That is the main reason I am thinking W/O palm. 40 bucks for something I will only use once??

Thanks for the reply's so far. I am getting close I think.