EX38-DS4 RAID0 ISSUE WITH 5 HDD

G

Hi there,

First things first, this is my firt thread in the forum, i am glad to find this gigabyte forum. :bounce: I think i find my solution in here ;)

Second, sorry for my bad english. I didn't write for some time. Here is my "litte" problem:

I got EX38-DS4 mainboard with F5 bios. I am using 4 Seagate 410AS disks for RAID 0. I haven't any problem with them or my mainboard. Until yesterday... :pt1cable:

I bougth a fifth disk. Exac same disk like others. Another 410AS.
But,

When i tried to join fifth disk to RAID0 group, the disk gives error after some time. Some time, computer crashes, some time gives a blue screen when its look like working and looks stable.

On the mainboad, i have got 6 sata2 ports. 2 of them yellow, 4 of them orange. I didn't understand this because, user manual says all of them sata2 port. But why the different colors? :pfff:

I think 4 of them connected to south bridge (ICH9R), 2 of them connected to Gigabyte Sata2 controller... So if its like that,

How can i use 5 disks?? :eek:

I always use 0-3 ports for RAID0.. so if its like that i wrote, 0-2 ports connected to Gigabyte Sata2 controller and port 3 connected to south bridge. How did i use 4 disks without any problem until today???Which ports should i use???

Please help me about this weird situation, bec. i am gonna loose my mind!!!!??? :kaola:

Edit: Final words... I search everything on the net... I think i cannot use 5 disks... I have to stay with 4 disks.. :pfff:

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Wow. Indeed you don't want two controllers trying to hash out the same RAID. They literally, control differently.

4 disks in RAID 0 too slow for you? Or too small? Why not save up for a while and RAID 0 a couple SSD's on the gigabyte controller just for s__t's and giggles. Copy files back and forth from your 4 disk RAID or, better yet, use the two volumes for video editing/encoding at super speed.

G

thanks for your answer, i forgot "r" letter :)

Finally, i found a solution. Two different raid controller on mainboard, i can only use 4 disks... Thats the solution...