I5 750 to 4GHZ on air - Gigabyte P55 series

crazyman50000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Right I've spent ages scowering Google and multiple forums and there's no definitive how to. Other than "research i7 over clocking - it's the same!" hard information is hard to come by without here and there searching.

So while this isn't a definitive how to guide, it should at least be of some help as I aim to get all that info into one place!

I'm not a wizard of over clocking by any means and in fact rely way too much on motherboard safety features. I am human afterall, and it's saved my DDR3 RAM from being over clocked from 1.6GHZ to 2.0GHZ because Id forgot to re adjust a multiplier.

This isn't an over clocking for dummies guide, more of a beginner-intermediate level

Right, time for some history!

Overclocking was previously done by pushing your CPU harder using the front side bus frequency. The front side bus (FSB) being a chip that connects all of the components in your PC together. The RAM, graphics card, CPU are all connected by this.

In laymans terms. The CPU does the 'thinking', the FSB does the connecting.

In later systems (and now Im talking about my old AMD AM2 64 with an Asrock mobo) you could offset - or asynchronously over clock the FSB without over clocking the graphics card.

Why am I mentioning this? Because the newer architecture takes this idea to the next level.

You have a base clock - or what could be called the FSB
A RAM multiplier - take the base clock, multiply this = your RAM speed MHZ
A CPU multiplier - take the base clock, multiply this = your CPU speed in MHZ

So Ill be basing this guide on the Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD Rev 1.1 F8 Bios motherboard

I will mention Foxconn sockets at this point. From the information I could find - burned out sockets were occurring on R1.0 boards even without over clocking. I personally haven't had this problem and put it down to the Rev 1.1 being a modified socket, despite Foxconn claiming "under normal use will work fine"

But I digress, this isn't a thread about Foxconn so on with those settings.

The DEFAULTS :

Ok so each motherboard will vary so you'll want the book to hand to find exactly how to access each setting. This is an overview of settings, not an idiots guide - remember...

CPU clocks:

Base clock (BCLK) : 133MHZ (Control disabled)
QPI Clock ratio : ??x (Auto) - CPUz sometimes implies 28X despite only 32x or 36x settings being user selectable
RAM multipler : 10.0 (Auto)
CPU Clock ratio : 20.0 (Auto)
PCI Express : 100MHZ (Auto)

Advanced CPU tech:

Intel boost tech : Auto
CPU Cores enable : ALL
CPU Enhance Halt (C1E): Auto
C3/C6/C7 state support : Auto
CPU Themral Monitor : Auto
CPU EIST : Auto
Bi-Directional Prochot : Auto

RAM settings:

XMP : Disabled
System memory multiplier : Auto (LINKED TO CPU --> RAM multiplier - changing one changes the other!)
Channel A Timining settings -->
Should all be greyed out (Auto)

---ON TO OVERCLOCKING!---

crazyman50000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
My bad. I was still typing the guide.

In short, I couldn't find any good guides on voltage settings. In the end I did the unscientific thing of wacking the voltage up to 1.375 V Core, 1.33 Vtt and then slowly lowering them until the system became unstable

No where really told me what the highest voltages you could go to were but I eventually found a guide (on bit-tech)

TRENDING THREADS