Box alive, monitor DEAD...

jovial12

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Hello,

I built my first system ~6wks ago it was loads of fun. It worked great for about 4wks (just past the 30day warranty), but suddenly it completely stopped powering up (no fans, no beeps, no PSU fan, etc) I assumed it to be a failed PSU, but upon replacing the PSU, no change. So, after running down a few "troubleshooting" lists I replaced the MoB which appears to have been the problem. (I should also mention that during the "fix" my montor was dropped..oops)

The good news is that it now powers up, everything sounds and looks good (fans, LEDs, HD, etc) EXCEPT the monitor won't do anything. The monitor is a nice shinny new 22 LCD that looks REAL sweet when run off another computer, but it has "no source" when connected to my running computer.

I first attempted to run the monitor off my new MoB or my video card, but no luck with either. I tried running it off the system after I removed the video card, but still no luck. I figure it can't be a driver problem with absolutely no life in the monitor. It also isn't the cable or the monitor (both work with other systems).

I have tried two PSU's. First I tried the 500W PSU that came with the case, and then a 650W COOLER MASTER (Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 650W). Do you think I fried my new MoB using a bad original PSU?

FYI: Here is the system (was running Ubuntu Ibex):

Acer X223Wbd Black 22
MSI NX8600GT Twin Turbo GeForce 8600 GT 256MB
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
APEVIA Black 500W ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz
Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I really hope it isn't my new motherboard having problems. Any help would be appreciated.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
This really is a interesting delima. You said you unhooked the GPU and tried running it off the on-board graphics already? And the monitor works fine on a different system? There is no sign of signal to the monitor during start-up? If so, it is definitely not a driver issue.

If your previous PSU did fail, it might have taken out your GPU and motherboard. Since you replaced the motherboard, there could be a very small chance that the on-board graphics are DOA.

Try resetting the CMOS and see if anything happens.

jovial12

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks for the help.

Yup, I unhooked the GPU and ran it off the on-board graphics with no change, and them monitor works BEAUTIFULLY when I put it on my laptop (I'm serious here, I'm in-love...) .

I figure my on-board graphics may have died because I used my 500W PSU with it first (before I tried my new 650W PSU) and may have fried it doing this?

I've resetted the CMOS, no change.

I decided to replace the MoB. If there is no change with the new MoB I'm going to assume it is the CPU (as I think I've tried everything else). I bent two of my CPU pins when it was stuck in my old MoB, but as it appeared minor and easily slid into place on the new board I didn't worry about it.

Who knows....I don't.