Because Core i7 ONLY means bragging rights...

leo2kp

Distinguished
I've decided to do just that!

Going from an E6600 @ 3GHz with 2GB DDR2-800, 2x160GB WD Enterprise dirves and a 320GB backup drive and Windows XP Pro 32 to...

Core i7 920, 6GB DDR3-1600 (G.Skill, but I almost had the OCZ for $200 until it went out of stock about 30 minutes before I bought it), 2x300GB Velociraptor in RAID-0, and a 750GB WD backup drive (would have gone 1TB but that too went out of stock), and Vista Ultimate 64.

I'm using my original 9800GTX and 19" Viewsonic 1280x1024 monitor until I can sell my old parts.

Anyone interested? ;)

The only thing I'm sad about is that I can't use my PureVideo decoder with Vista, and the driver support for the Audigy card I have SUCKS. I'll be using onboard until I can get an X-Fi I guess. Oh, and Oblivion downloadable content won't work either and I hear a lot of people have issues with Oblivion in Vista 64, so I'll have to start looking for new games too. I just hope my MS Office Professional 2007 works with it!

soark

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
So your mad at Windows Vista 64?

You already knew that Creative sound cards don't work very well with vista..as for the game again the fault is the provider not the OS or Core I7 :S

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
You clearly have no idea on how to brag. You go on a forum (toms is fine here) and you write something like:
Which is best:
Tri gtx 280 or 2 4870x2?

Or if it is cpu brag:
I've just gotten a <insert the most expensive cpu presently> but I can only overclock it to <insert some insane high number>. Should I replace my <insert almost sanely priced RAM> with <insert some insane high priced RAM>?

You can also include both in same post.

leo2kp

Distinguished
The 965 board I had wouldn't work with the Q that you mention so my next logical step was to get a new board, so heck, why not get an i7 and not shoot myself in the foot by killing my chances at a little more future-proofing by buying a soon-to-be-outdated platform? And besides, the 920 is more than 20% improvement over my E6600. If I had an x48 board and a Quad, I'd stick with that instead.

Yes the monitor needs to go, but with the 9800GTX they're an OK match as long as the settings are high. When I get a 260 Core 216 or SLI the 9800GTX, I'll get another monitor.

To Dask: Yes you are correct, I need to hone my bragging skills. Thanks for the tips!

I'm not "mad" at Vista 64. I expected some incompatibility, but I'm just a little disenchanted that I'll be losing some of my favorite things like EAX, DTS-ES (I like listening to my Blue Man Group 24-bit DVD-Audio disk in DTS), but I'll be gaining more favorite things in the process, so it works out.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I'll be able to brag at some point too. Brag about how i paid 1/4th the price for the i7Core and how the idiots who paid the over inflated price bought them in the beginning before they've been tested in consumer machines. Let's not give Intel anytime to fix the bugs and buy it now.

As far as i'm concerned, the i7Core is far far from a gotta have it processor. I've got a OC'd Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz and it runs very fast with Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. I am definitely waiting for the affordable prices.

Also, buying Vista Ultimate 64-Bit right now is a complete waste of money. Windows 7 Beta comes out next month and i'm sure the full release will be out shortly as well.

Also, to the person stating that Creative Soundcards don't work well with Vista. I'm running an SB Xtreme Titanium and have had absolutely no problems and the sound quality is fantastic. I watch movies, play games, no problems.

Anyway, good luck with the system, looks like a great build...

AJ

soark

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I said that creative does not work well with vista because you lose all the EAX for the games. Alchemy software is trying to help though.

I have a X-fi XtremeGamer a absolutely love it and I use it with Vista (32 bit) with NO problem at all..but the native support for EAX is just gone...Anyway the sound is incredible xD

Cya