shawnlove

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
ok on my next build i want to have a 100gb ssd and a 1tb drive... now is there a way to run them so i still get the performance of the ssd but the compasity of the 1tb and not have ot search through the hd itself for picks and stuff i just open the pick folder in the start menue?

i want all my games and o/s on the ssd for speed and files on the 1tb but no hassel in findeing everything

Solution
Plug in the SSD by itself and install Windows on it. Windows will also create a 100MB "recovery partition" on the same drive (it would create it on the HDD if you had it plugged in during the install).

Once Windows is installed, plug in the 1TB drive. When you install programs they'll go to the SSD by default, but you can override it by selecting the "custom" install options if you want.

Move the home directory for your account to the 1TB drive and you're set - all of your files and documents will go to the 1TB drive by default.
Plug in the SSD by itself and install Windows on it. Windows will also create a 100MB "recovery partition" on the same drive (it would create it on the HDD if you had it plugged in during the install).

Once Windows is installed, plug in the 1TB drive. When you install programs they'll go to the SSD by default, but you can override it by selecting the "custom" install options if you want.

Move the home directory for your account to the 1TB drive and you're set - all of your files and documents will go to the 1TB drive by default.

Solution

shawnlove

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

will all my stuff open just as fast as if i had it on the ssd? i want the speed of the ssd and space of the raid

Put programs on the SSD because opening a program typically requires reading a lot of little files and that's where RAID really helps.

Put data files, documents, music etc. on the HDD because when you open those you're typically only opening one file at a time, so the HDD will be able to do it reasonably quickly.