Geforce 7900 gto strange noise

aristita

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
hi,i have a msi geforce 7900 gto and i notested that it makes a strange noise when in a game and when i scroll a internet page with the mouse wheel.it's not loud but you can hear it ..it's not from the fan...it doesn't seem like it.is it gonna break?.please help!thank you!

Take a closer look, the fan is the only moving part on your GTO. You might use a paper towel roll insert and place it against your ear with the other end down into the case and locate the exact cause of the 'noise'. Maybe a wire is touching a fan?

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I found that sometimes They put a thin clear plastic protective film right in the middle of the fan hub.Then ,If You miss it it starts falling off at some point makeing noise.
Hope that helps.

G

Hey aristata...

I have an ati 9700 on my laptop.. and since i can get real close to the graphics card (than a desktop).. I can hear it quite distinctly. Its not the fan i'm sure of it. cause my fan firstly cools a common heat sink for both the processor and graphics. and I can clearly tell when its turns on..

The noise seem to be coming from the graphics card itself.. (the chip). or it could be the processor.. But i feel as if it comes from the graphics card.. I'm not sure what initiates it for the first time.. never was able to figure it out..

The noise can be heard quite clearly when you scroll through pages. Not necessary web page.. Even something like you folder with a good amount of files on it.. Or winamp ... It seems to make more noise when there is more text/items on the screen that it has to scroll through.. I have searched on the net a few times.. and reached this forum. Don't know what causes it yet..

And NO its NOT from the hard drive !

And ofcourse as you can see, its not a ATI or NVidia only problem.. its a problem with graphics cards in general.. There are a few other chips which seem to have this same problem..
Although I doubt it affects the performance.. Even if it does, its not a noticeable one..

Anyone got any ideas on this??

symbiandj

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
LOL.. yeah i know its hard to believe.. but other than the fan, I'm quite sure there aren't any other moving parts in my laptop around that area.. The hard drive is on the other end, and i know how that sounds..

And i'm sure the other people who have this problem with agree.