Crazy time problem! Help!

thalandor46

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9378552

Put together that build last night, which is plugged directly into my HDTV through HDMI, and installed Vista Home Premium 64 bit. After it gets past the bios, the system clock goes crazy, moving at a rate of about 1 minute per second. This has an effect on everything time based. I have a video of what's happening here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb4R0ZUdouc

I tried to show all my bios settings in the video, but they didnt come out all that well on my crappy camera, so the fun doesn't start until around 2:28. I took some pictures of my bios settings instead:

http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/thalandor46/Bios/

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I figure it's either a bad piece of hardware, something important I forgot in the building process, or something wrong in my bios settings. I'm almost certain it's not Windows, since it was also happening when the Vista install disk was starting up, before anything was actually installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: What in the hell? Text got randomly replaced with escape sequences. Fun times! Hope this fixes it...

thalandor46

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008

Time moves as expected in the bios, but it is inconsistent every time I start it up. My guess though is that this is because the time moves forward a significant amount every time Windows starts.

Yeah, just checked. If I turn it off before leaving the bios, the time in the bios is consistent.

You verified that the clock behaves normally in the BIOS, but if you load Vista and let it run for at least one hour, has the date changed or only the time? When you power off or reboot the PC and then go back in the BIOS, are the date and time still correct?

thalandor46

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
I seem to get more confused with the more I find.

If I enter the bios, shut down, and enter the bios again, about a minute passes on the system time. Expected.

If I enter the bios, continue starting Windows, restart, and enter the bios again (about a 5 minute process), system time is ahead about 30-45 minutes. Unexpected.

If I enter the bios, continue starting windows, wait for about an hour, restart, and enter the bios again, system time is ahead about an hour, date has not changed. I didn't keep exact track of time though, so I might do that experiment again to get more accurate data.

Another question from the clueless! I grabbed the latest bios and the update tool...how do I use them to flash?

thalandor46

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Oh for the love of...I somehow managed to delete the post I was trying to edit. Let's see if I can remember what went in here.

-Bios update did nothing.

-Someone suggested that I try booting from a LiveCD. I loaded up NimbleX, and it's clock worked just fine. So it could somehow be a Windows problem, even though I get the same type of problems in the setup before anything installs.

-Turns out I can't do the hour test. Windows sits there for a few minutes and then blue screens, which lasts about half a second before it restarts, so I have no idea what it says. I was out of the room the first time I tried it, so I have no idea if that was happening before. Now that I'm actually staring at the thing, I've also noticed that there's more to the clock behavior. In addition to moving at a rate of about 1 minute per second, it's also repeating the same hour over and over again. So the clock will read 7:15 7:16 7:17 6:18 6:19 etc, and repeat that same hour until it blue screens. The start time increments by a few minutes after every restart, probably the amount of time between startups.

Thanks for your help guys! Really hope I can get this figured out.

When Windows is loaded, go to Event Viewer and check what caused the crash. Your problem most likely has to be caused by hardware that's detected by Windows, but not by the LiveCD. I know that it might not make much sense, but can you use a standard LCD monitor instead of your HDTV?

thalandor46

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Control Panel closes as soon as it opens, so I cant get to the event viewer.

Tried switching to an LCD. Nothing different.

I'm about ready to just send the motherboard back and just call it a day -.-