revnice

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Gentlemen!

I'm interested in opinions about the best processor (most awesome for speed, power, reliability, options, etc) for digital audio.

I've heard great things about dual core processors but why would I want a dual core instead of dual processors?

I'm currently using dual Xeon 2.66s with 15,000 rpm SCSI 320 drives and 4 gig of RAM but it's getting kinda slugish :)

Thanks - rev

ny_nick

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

Im not sure whether you mean dual core or dual processors. most basic desktop computers only run a motherboard with a single processor with multiple cores.
running actually more than one processor is hardly necessary for anything you want to do with digital audio. If you really want a good processor they come in dual/tri/and quad core now. Ive heard alot of good things about the new quad core intel processors q6660 etc. most processors used today are just a single chip with multiple processing cores. although if you really wanted to spend some major money there are motherboards with multiple processor sockets.

Just check out newegg.com i recommend them for any hardware needs. They also have a very large knowledge base regarding the products they sell.

I hope this helped and good luck.

revnice

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
'there are motherboards with multiple processor sockets.' Yep, been using them for years but a lot must have changed in that time.

Dual processors are helpful with digital audio, the multithreading option allows the second processor to handle effects, VSTs, etc, while the first one handles Windows and the audio software.

Thats exactly what Duo/Quad cores can do. Besides, dual CPU's simply aren't efficent enough (due to all sorts of memory communication and CPU/CPU communication issues), Skulltrail was proof of that...

I'm assuming you have a dual socket workstation board. You need to check with your mb maker to see what kind of CPU support you can get. I'm assuming you have netburst based cores, so if you move to a more modern xenon architecture you will see a big difference. If your board can support dual quad core xeons, then go for it. If it only supports dual core Xenons then you may be better off building a whole new system as the cost of two dual core Xenons would probably be greater than just going with a new i7 system.

revnice

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Money no object, bring on the ideal, the dream, the one we all want but can't justify because we have other greeds, because somewhere someone is starving.

Bring on the chip that says 'to hell with the children' (another .00002 nanoseconds cuts a lot of family ties :)

Let's be decadent, who cares how many people George Bush tortured without trial, let's pretend there are no other considerations...

Now what d'ya say?