Your question
Solved

Messed up overclocking my 965 phenom II

Last response: in Overclocking
April 19, 2010 1:39:52 PM

got a biostar ta790gx a3+
latest bios update
latest updates etc

used http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W43791JKvWQ 's guide and messed up my cpu it shutdown something about a
"dump"

so i reinstalled windows 7 drivers etc cpu-z shows
800.1mhz multiplier x4 .992v's for the core varys though goes to
up from 8 to 2200.3 mhz 1.220v's for core sometimes it goes to
3.4 like its supposed to sometimes can't get the exact volts for core but its like 1.39x or 1.40x something like that

says 4 cores 4 threads
i got a zalman cnps10x extreme so i figured i'd be ok just to try what he did but i guess i f'd up =/ is there anyway to just get back to the old stock setup?
i took out the battery and reinserted it right before installing windows 7 again incase it was a bios issue..I didn't smell anything burnt or anything like that..

any advice would be greatly appreciated
April 19, 2010 2:25:33 PM

disable cool 'n' quiet in BIOS, I think that is giving you the 4x multiplier. to get back to default settings it depends on your mobo, but on mine when you go to the menu where you save or discard changes to BIOS settings the last option is to reset the default settings.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2010 3:02:47 PM

Its always a bad Idea to overclock via software. When you overclock via software any time you crash out because you overclock too high your windows system files start to get corrupted and it always will result in having to reinstall windows. Learn how to do it via bios at least if you mess up there you can just take out the battery and reset.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2010 4:46:32 PM

saaiello said:
Its always a bad Idea to overclock via software. When you overclock via software any time you crash out because you overclock too high your windows system files start to get corrupted and it always will result in having to reinstall windows. Learn how to do it via bios at least if you mess up there you can just take out the battery and reset.

Aaah... I was gonna mention that you shouldn't overclock from software, but I wasn't sure why and I wasn't willing to argue with some about it.
m
l
a c 225 K Overclocking
April 19, 2010 4:49:09 PM

Quote:
so i reinstalled windows 7 drivers etc cpu-z shows
800.1mhz multiplier x4 .992v's for the core varys though goes to

I'd say your CPU is just fine, but your M/B is toast, if CMOS clearing will in no way get you back in business start an RMA for the M/B and get it replaced.

Try pulling the power from the machine, set the CMOS jumper if the M/B has one to clear the CMOS, and additionally pull the CMOS battery for a minimum of 30 minutes, and see if that does it.

If not, RMA the M/B.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2010 6:04:38 PM

Check your motherboard manual if it has the BIOS recovery feature so that you won't have to RMA if BIOS recovery can restore to basic CMOS default settings.
m
l
April 19, 2010 7:26:13 PM

seems like disabling cool n quiet set it back to normal should i mess with the other stuff?
m
l
April 19, 2010 9:55:24 PM

I don't know I used to be able to have cool n quiet enabled and it worked at 3.4? so I dont need to mess with cmos? I thought taking the battery out reset cmos?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2010 11:33:35 PM

You do know its normal for the CPU to go to 800 mhz while cool N quiet is enabled?
m
l
April 20, 2010 7:32:52 AM

cmaki2008 said:
I don't know I used to be able to have cool n quiet enabled and it worked at 3.4? so I dont need to mess with cmos? I thought taking the battery out reset cmos?

Cool n' quiet releases the COU when you're using something demanding I think, but it also depends on what software you use to check your hardware, I remeber sisoft sandra detecting a 3.xghz CPU but CPU Z saw the real cool n' quiet clocks.

I suggest yo hold back on using AMD Overdrive until you're up to speed on the whole overclocking thing, for now I suggest you go into the BIOS and reset the defaults, and I would suggest some stress testing to see if there are any hardware problems.

Also from what I've read so far you don't really need to do anything with the CMOS.
m
l
April 20, 2010 12:14:29 PM

what would you use to stress test a cpu? and how would i get it to 100% load?
m
l
April 20, 2010 1:19:54 PM

saaiello said:
You do know its normal for the CPU to go to 800 mhz while cool N quiet is enabled?

is it?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2010 1:41:43 PM

When Cool N Quiet is enabled it will clock down to 800mhz when its do nothing once the cpu is needed it will jump back up to normal speed. Cool N Quiet also will lower the voltage too this is all normal and doesn't change performance.

Learn a little more about the ins and outs of over clocking before you go any further. Software based over clocking just is not a good way to overclock and can cause more problems then its worth.
April 20, 2010 3:17:26 PM

ok so everything is ok then sounds like

what program would you use for running a stress test at 100% so i can see how long it takes to get it hot with this fan i got then figure out how much i should go up i saw a youtube video on it (uh i dunno im scared because last time) I think im just gonna read that thread the guy posted lol!! also how important is it to have the computer plugged directly into the wall (the power cord that comes from the power supply) i'm wondering if that might of caused the problem

thanks again sal
m
l
April 21, 2010 12:15:49 AM

saaiello if you get a chance aim me thug9cole I need your help with speedfan 1 more time i had to reinstall windows 7 =/ tryed to dual boot lol
m
l
April 21, 2010 12:19:30 AM

ok i downloaded prime 95 version p64v2511

just do a stress test right? and for how long to make sure everything is alright??
should i turn cool n quiet back on?
m
l
April 21, 2010 12:06:31 PM

megafreak said:
Cool n' quiet releases the COU when you're using something demanding I think, but it also depends on what software you use to check your hardware, I remeber sisoft sandra detecting a 3.xghz CPU but CPU Z saw the real cool n' quiet clocks.

I suggest yo hold back on using AMD Overdrive until you're up to speed on the whole overclocking thing, for now I suggest you go into the BIOS and reset the defaults, and I would suggest some stress testing to see if there are any hardware problems.

Also from what I've read so far you don't really need to do anything with the CMOS.

so in other words my processor is fine? doesn't matter if i leave it on cool n quiet or not if I want the satisfaction of having 3.4g at all times disable it though correct? and if a demanding app loads up like crysis it will start working at 3.4 if its cool n quiet is enabled?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 1:32:41 PM

Yes and Yes the only time it should be disabled if you are trying to find your max overclock during normal operation leave it enabled.
m
l
April 22, 2010 3:04:18 AM

Best answer selected by cmaki2008.
m
l
!