Sign in with
Your question

How safe is it to overclock using motherboard switch

Last response: in Overclocking
April 19, 2010 1:54:53 PM

ok on my motherboard (Msi 790XT-g45) it comes with easy overclocking switches. which can overclock the Cpu FSB. how safe is it to overclock using this? is it safer than manual overclocking? do i have to worry about voltages or anything? or can i just flick the switch and it will overclock, also could it cause any perminent damage if anything goes wrong or can i just flick the switch back down to regular speed and it will go back to normal
April 19, 2010 1:56:29 PM

CrysisComa said:
ok on my motherboard (Msi 790XT-g45) it comes with easy overclocking switches. which can overclock the Cpu FSB. how safe is it to overclock using this? is it safer than manual overclocking? do i have to worry about voltages or anything? or can i just flick the switch and it will overclock, also could it cause any perminent damage if anything goes wrong or can i just flick the switch back down to regular speed and it will go back to normal

also my CPU is a Phenom II x4 955 3.2ghz black edition
August 3, 2010 3:30:41 AM

I want to know the same thing i have the same processor but I'm running the 770-G45 and no matter what i do with those switches I cant get it to start up. I don't know how I can *** it up you just flip a switch?
Related resources
August 3, 2010 2:30:58 PM

TeamTermin said:
I want to know the same thing i have the same processor but I'm running the 770-G45 and no matter what i do with those switches I cant get it to start up. I don't know how I can *** it up you just flip a switch?

just power down the computer, flip the switches. you can overclock to 10%,15%, or 20%. depending on how much your CPU cooler can handle. if your using stock cooling i would just try it at 10%. your motherboard manual has the switch combination to get that.

so what do you mean you can get it to start up? the Overclock wont work? or the computer wont start?

if you canget your computer started after setting the switches just go into your Bios and check the CPU speed.
August 3, 2010 10:13:44 PM

my computer restarts over and over again even at the 10%
a c 100 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 10:22:09 PM

I wouldn't trust it. I had an MSI board with the OC Genie button. It did OC it a bit but I got much better results doing it myself.

TeamTermin: Sounds like the switch can't figure out how to OC your PC. I definitely wouldn't do it. Reboots like that is a symptom of a bad OC.
August 3, 2010 10:43:07 PM

Thanks! O and has anyone seen the new NZXT Phantom Case? Just wanted to know what everyone thinks about it bc I'm thinking about getting it when it comes out.
August 3, 2010 11:33:06 PM

i saw it. looks nice but i care more about cooling than the actual looks. am i right in thinking it has like 7 spots you can put case fans? thats actually pritty impressive. iv always wondered how much case cooling effects CPU overclocking temps?
August 5, 2010 1:08:11 AM

CrysisComa said:
i saw it. looks nice but i care more about cooling than the actual looks. am i right in thinking it has like 7 spots you can put case fans? thats actually pritty impressive. iv always wondered how much case cooling effects CPU overclocking temps?

It effects the CPU a lot i plan on putting fans in all 7 spots and having a water cooler cooling my cpu and my video cards
!