Probably a stupid question concerning HDCP

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I'm in the process of building a new system and I decided to buy a bluray drive this time around so I can watch HD movies on my computer. Unfortunately my current LCD monitor is old enough that it doesn't have HDCP support. I have read however that you can bypass that by using the D-Sub connector on the monitor instead of the DVI connection. Here is my quandry: My new video card, a 4850, supports HDCP but only has DVI outputs. If I use the DVI->D-Sub adapter will I still be able to bypass HDCP on my current monitor?

I plan to buy a new monitor in the coming months but money is tight at the moment so I'd prefer to limp along with my current monitor a little longer. I suppose I could buy AnyDVD HD, but I don't particularly want to spend $90 on that right now either.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

darkgoth678

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
well as far As I know One is only able to do HDCP through HDMI, since HDMI is HD Multimedia Interface and can carry both audio and Video. To make sure, just seek out your list of playback devices and make sure HDMI is on there.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

HDCP goes over any digital connection (DVI or HDMI). I tried using the VGA adapter on the DVI connection and it DOES work. It'll be good enough until I'm ready to drop that $400 on a new monitor.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across DisplayPort, Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF), or Unified Display Interface (UDI) connections, even if such copying would be permitted by fair use laws. The specification is proprietary, and implementing HDCP requires a license.[1]

For DVI interfaces, HDCP is optional
Copied from wici
Mactronix

RavenLunatic

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
AnyDVD HD is the only way to watch bluray movies if any of your equipment is not HDCP compatible. DVI->D-Sub adapter wont work as all you will get is a black screen where the movie should be.

The thing is, if the BR disc doesn't require the HDCP handshake, then you can watch full res without it. Otherwise you need a software workaround like AnyDVD-HD to get it to display at full res. You can still watch ALL movies out the VGA connector without it, but it will force it to downgrade the output to lower resolution if it asks for the key.

Unfortunately if you do need AnyDVD, you are a little late to get their lifetime upgrades, now it requires a renewal license.