System overlock - i7-920, HD 5970 with 750W

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
  • HD
Last response: in Overclocking
April 19, 2010 6:27:05 PM

Hey y'all,

I recently completed my new rig, and would now like to start pushing it - time to overclock! I'm not looking for a how-to or anything here, but a much more general question - is my PSU sufficient for a good overclock? I'm relatively new to homebuilds and overclocking generally, and while researching the limitations of individual parts is simple enough, it's less clear to me what sort of headroom I have for overclocking my system as a whole. Here are the key specs:

Intel Core i7-920 @ stock, CM Hyper 212+
ASUS P6X58D
6GB G.Skill CL7 at 7-7-7-24 (rated and running at 1.65V - have not tried to maintain speeds with lower voltage)
Sapphire HD 5970 (will never be adding a second card, so no need to consider whether the PSU could handle a tri- or quad-fire configuration)
Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair 750TX 750W

When I designed the rig, I had always intended to overclock, but had not predicted that the GPU I would eventually decide on would be the HD 5970. I would like to overclock the CPU to 3.6-3.8GHz, and would like to push the clocks of the HD 5970 up closer to the frequencies of an HD 5870, though I know actually hitting a stable 850/1200mhz overclock would require a voltage tweak. In all areas, I'm looking for a significant, but always stable overclock - I don't feel the need to push my system to its absolute limits, but I'd like it to earn its keep.

Is the 750W sufficient for a solid, but not extreme system overclock? If so, assuming my GPU is itself capable of it, will the 750W handle pushing the HD 5970 back up to stock HD 5870 frequencies?

More about : system overlock 920 5970 750w

a c 296 K Overclocking
April 19, 2010 7:11:04 PM

Hi.

This are the power requirements for the 5970.

ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
650 Watt or greater power supply one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (850 Watt with two 75W 6-pin and two 150W 8-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of certified products

Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

Your PSU is enough for the rig, because the recommended PSU is for the entire system.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2010 9:20:55 PM

I just don't understand it, but I won't get to crazy here.

Yes, your PSU is fine, just made sure you monitor your temps. All that money for a great system and you buy a $30 cooler that will affect both the OCing ability and the cpu's life span. OK, I'll stop. Sorry.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 3:42:27 PM

Woah. That is a Kick Ass system man.

Your Psu will Handle It nicely.
I would Suggest a 3.8Ghz OC... Just Watch Temps Closely Dont Let anything Over 75'C

RJR The CM 212Hyper+ Is one Of the Best Air Coolers On the Market especially with a push pull config.

Good luck :D 
m
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 4:00:10 PM

^Yeah, the Hyper 212+ is very good, but if he have to buy a 5970, could go for a NH-D14 or Thermalright Venomous X.
m
l
April 21, 2010 6:34:01 PM

RJR said:
I just don't understand it, but I won't get to crazy here.

Yes, your PSU is fine, just made sure you monitor your temps. All that money for a great system and you buy a $30 cooler that will affect both the OCing ability and the cpu's life span. OK, I'll stop. Sorry.

That's a lot of hate for a HSF that is widely hailed as one of the best values in cooling on the market, and performs superbly when put up against the heavy hitters like the Prolimatech or Xigmatech coolers. It might not be the best performance on the market, but we are talking differences of a couple of degrees, and if you're willing to really push the fans on the 212+ (I am), it really appears to do a great job. Considering I have no intention of pushing for a record-breaking overclock, I believe the Hyper 212+ should be adequate. If I overclock and am not satisfied with my temps, then I will invest in something like the Mega Shadow or Megahalems - given the performance of the 212+ paired with the outstanding airflow and case cooling I have, however, I don't expect that to be necessary.

fisshy said:
Woah. That is a Kick Ass system man.

Your Psu will Handle It nicely.
I would Suggest a 3.8Ghz OC... Just Watch Temps Closely Dont Let anything Over 75'C

RJR The CM 212Hyper+ Is one Of the Best Air Coolers On the Market especially with a push pull config.

Good luck :D 

Thanks! So far the rig has exceeded my expectations, so other than the hit to my wallet, I can't complain! I appreciate the feedback.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 9:03:24 PM

fisshy said:

For anything EXCEPT the i7 series processor I would agree that it would be adequate. For the money it really can't be beat, but it is not one of the best air coolers out there right now.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 2:35:17 PM

RJR said:
For anything EXCEPT the i7 series processor I would agree that it would be adequate. For the money it really can't be beat, but it is not one of the best air coolers out there right now.

I can see your Point There... It is One of the best coolers on the market.

But i'm sure that you will agree that its value for money cant really be matched? I'm not having a go at you RJR, just stating the facts
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 2:50:03 PM

Thats very similar to my system.

I am overclocking at 3.8Ghz which is around the most efficient voltage/heat for the speed. Anything higher isn't that cool.

For my card I am using a 24/7 clock of 950mhz/1250mhz at 1.149v from the stock 1.049. Anything higher and I need more voltage than I want to give. You might not hit the same clocks since I have mine liquid cooled. I seen most people hit at least 900mhz/1200mhz on 1.162 but watch out for the heat as the VRMs can get quite hot and limit your overclock.

I find that my system with the i7 and the 5970 makes quite a bit of heat. Not just heat on the processors themselves, but heat in my room lol. It can get quite hot but I open a window from time to time. So my computer doubles as a space heater.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2010 9:44:46 AM

rofl_my_waffle said:
Not just heat on the processors themselves, but heat in my room lol. It can get quite hot but I open a window from time to time. So my computer doubles as a space heater.

HeHe Mine too, Dual Usage PC's : They're the next big thing ;) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2010 2:20:55 PM

I just don't understand when people have 2-3 GTX 480s and they think it is ok because they have it on water? Thats like 2-3x as much heat as a 5970.

I honestly don't like gaming in my underpants all that much. At least it is still spring so opening the window is great. It would be akward running a space heater in the summer though. You could up the AC but to boost the entire system to cool a single room is very inefficient. The cooling would cost a fortune.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2010 2:35:03 PM

I agree with you, it can suck in summer especially in savanna conditions at night (29'C) but right now its great cause its winter (12-17'C) And im getting some great temps from my rig
m
l
!