Sign in with
Your question

New build, no BIOS or monitor display

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2008 1:17:53 AM

Major components:
MoBo- GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
PSU- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
GPU- SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale

So I labored over the thing for hours, of course when I go to push the button: nothing. No LED's, no spinning fans, no noise, absolutely nothing. I had a mouse/keyboard plugged in but no monitor, I doubt this would affect it right?

I slowly stripped away each component unnecessary for boot: vid card, RAM, etc. etc. till it was just the mobo and cpu, nothing nothing nothing and more nothing.

So the first assumption of course was a DOA PSU or MoBo, maybe CPU. How can I test these to be sure?

Also, the place I built it has a lower than normal voltage for houses in the US. Of course my friend mentions this on the ride home, apparently most houses have 120V while his had 60V. My PSU maxes it 650 watts, could the house be the problem? Id assume id atleast get an LED, fan, something.
December 6, 2008 1:43:34 AM

The first assumption should be a faulty power switch or you not connecting the power switch correctly. Try booting up the PC by using a screw driver to connect the two pins of the power switch. If that still does nothing, then look to the PSU.
December 6, 2008 1:56:10 AM

slomo4sho said:
The first assumption should be a faulty power switch or you not connecting the power switch correctly. Try booting up the PC by using a screw driver to connect the two pins of the power switch. If that still does nothing, then look to the PSU.

The case power switch (antec 900 case, if that makes a difference)? So, basically just stick the end of a screwdriver between the two pins on the MoBo for power switch? I dont feel like getting electrocuted today :D 
Related resources
December 6, 2008 1:57:17 AM

did you plug in the power and reset buttons into the appropriate places on the mobo? i would check them.
December 6, 2008 1:59:59 AM

V3NOM said:
did you plug in the power and reset buttons into the appropriate places on the mobo? i would check them.

yes, we actually had a whole comedic episode of my friend attempting to plug those little things into the appropriate place with his huge ham-hands and through a maze of cables, after I reminded him you cant just plug it in anywhere
December 6, 2008 2:18:25 AM

yoshi77 said:
The case power switch (antec 900 case, if that makes a difference)? So, basically just stick the end of a screwdriver between the two pins on the MoBo for power switch? I dont feel like getting electrocuted today :D 

Yes, a screwdriver handle is going to be either plastic or rubber. Neither conduct electricity.
December 6, 2008 9:16:43 PM

Ok, well I got power to the MoBo and rest of today, the PSU is working fine.

Hooked everything + a monitor up and couldnt get a signal to it. When you power it up, the CPU fan spins like half a revolution then stops, so im guessing theres something wrong with the CPU or possibly video card (the vid card lights up and the fan spins however, as opposed to the CPU fan doing almost nothing)
!