Possible Bottleneck, Pentium D 805

G

Hello, I believe I have a sort of bottleneck going on here.

bought a dell E510 a couple years ago. but have upgraded a few things.

system info:

Windows XP home
pentium D 805 2.66 cpu
evga 9800 GT 512mb
2gb DDR2 pc-5400 ram
what ever hard drive came with the dell, 160gb is all i know about it
dynex 400w psu

I also have cpu-z and dxiags I can upload if needed.

My current thoughts are that my cpu is bottlenecking my system. I can only run cod4 at 125 solid fps with 800x600 and EVERYTHING turned off and on low detail. from what I have read, my video card should be able to do that with everything atleast on medium.

My second thought is that maybe it is my psu that is under supplying my components.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The Pentium D 805 defaults to 133MHz FSB (20 x 133 = 2.66MHz). This is definately a bottleneck. The 805 D dual core runs decent if you can up the FSB to 170-200MHz (3.4-4GHz.). Otherwise, other than multitasking, a single core P4 at 200Mhz. FSB default is faster at processing data through the CPU and system BUS itself.

G

ok thanks. dells cannot be overclocked so im a bit screwed lol.

only thing is my other pc has a p4 with the speeds you talk about, is it possible to swap the processors if the socket type matches? i think its 775

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
You should not be gaming at that resolution with your GPU. That cpu is a piece of junk but you're not helping your cause by playing at that low of a resolution. The lower the res. the more the cpu has to work. The cpu will bottleneck the card at your highest resolutions also but just dont lower the res down the bare min.

ok thanks. dells cannot be overclocked so im a bit screwed lol.

only thing is my other pc has a p4 with the speeds you talk about, is it possible to swap the processors if the socket type matches? i think its 775

Check the MB product page for CPU's supported and by which BIOS. If the P4 800MHz. processor you have is on the list and you have the BIOS rev. needed, go for it. I have 805-D running for many years. Currently in a desktop micro with no adjustment in BIOS for FSB. I have a P4 2.8GHz. given to me from a system I worked on. I may swap it out, it is supported by my BIOS. I had a 3GHz. P4 800 MHz. in the MB before and it ran much better. Except at heavy multitasking.