How can I overclock my CPU without a motherboard that supports it?

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hi, as the topic says, my motherboard does not support overclocking in the bios. I'm about to buy a new mobo / cpu in about a month or two, so IDC about any damages it might cause if I try to.

How could I do this?

I have been reading more on this, and I have concluded I would need to flash my bios and change the software on it or something. I got a massive headache and I don't think I can read anymore for now -_- Anyone wanna explain how I would change the software?

I think you mean that your motherboard doesnt have a 'fast and simple' overclock option, can you post your motherboard model maybe to give us a better idea of what were dealing with? I'm neww to clocking but I dont believe theres a bios out there that wont let you fiddle it :) post model numbers of mobo and procecssor and I'm sure better folks than me will chip in too

If it is a prebuild like Dell, or HP, you are most likely out of luck. Most of their builds are stripped down to the bare minimum, you get nothing more than exactly what you paid for. (They don't want you overclocking and upgrading, they want you buying another computer) Higher end gaming branded models will allow a little 'tweaking".
Anyhow, yes, we need to know the specifics before we can even make a guess a what to tell you.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
yeah i had an ECS motherboard or two in my days. i think one of them died and the 2nd one still works on an old rig i have set up for my girlfriend.

i think it's kind of pointless. most of the games these days have performance that will likely outweigh any noticeable improvements you will get with components that old, OC'd or not.

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
So it is best to get a new mobo I take it. I have been wondering, but what kind of format is this motherboard of mine? SATA? My friend gave me harddrives but none of them have the right extensions for my pc. (the harddrives are pretty old) I want my new mobo to be compatible : / I cant buy everything all at once lol

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

i see 2 SATA's and 1 IDE...

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i don't think it will, as the mobo is AM2 and the processor AM2+. ECS mobos are terrible, you really should upgrade both for sure, even if it works. i would look into getting something even more recent. if you buy semi-old parts now then in a year you'll need to build again to keep up. better off buying semi-new parts now and upgrading in 3-4 years instead. i'm not sure if you're partial to AMD, but all in all Intel processors are the overall better value in the market currently. people will debate that, but years ago AMD was the clear winner and won over a large percentage of the PC community, and those people have a hard time admitting Intel is better in general when it comes to value vs. money these days.

The 9850 is crap, you might as well save up 12$ more dollars and get at least an x4 620. You will be able to squeeze at least 800Mhz extra with aftermarket cooler.

A decent mobo can be found for 60.00/70.00$.

Intel has nothing to compete with AMD on the low end so unless you have $$ to burn you have no choice.

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Googled 'mobo + cpu combo for ~ 150$' found

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.361143

pretty quickly, Am2+ mobo, 2.8Ghz dual core and 2 gig of Ram, $134.48 in your U.S. money, re-use your old case and gfx, find a new psu and your laughing for circa $150,
Motherboard has a 2+ socket so you'll have more options if you want to change proc's in the future, Processors a Black Edit dual core, and some rams included to start you off, I'd strip your old one and see what you can scratch back from Ebay maybe only a couple of Dollars, but its a couple of dollars off the price of your new Rig,
Let us know what you do,

Dude, we don't want to be trashing your parts. But you are asking about overclocking and performance. ECS motherboards are not exactly the choice of choice here. Sure, ECS does make some decent higher end products, but they are best known as a value brand, stripped down and very few features, low cost components. (like the board you have now, sorry!) When you go to Frys and get the "value bundle of the week" it is always a decent processor, coupled with an ECS motherboard, that you pay like $20 over the price of the processor alone for the board and CPU together.
The combo bundle listed in the post right above this by motopsychojdn is IMHO, pretty darn good for a buck-fifty.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

right, i just meant if he was going to upgrade both, may as well spend a little more and get intel. i mean the i5's are pretty cheap now. hell the i7 920 is $200 at microcenter if you have one nearby--that's nearly $100 off from the newegg price!

Correct but he woukld have to invest in an P55/x58 board and at least 3 sticks of DDR3 which is way out of budget.

We need to know what RAM you are using because you cannot just pop in a set of ram on a random board and expect it to work.

Do you have a link to the ram you are using? Do you have the original packaging with at least an item/model #?

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

Good. I am going to buy that one + new psu, mine works fine, but 250 watts doesnt seem like enough. even though my GFX card says 450 I believe it works fine lol so yeah ill probably get a 600~ watt one