Please Help...System shuts off after running any game.

mjesenovec

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I finally got the money to build myself a new system...and i just finished building it last night...here is my setup

Asus P5N-D Mobo
8gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz (not overclocked)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF
MSI 9800GT OC 512MB
HEC Zephyr 750W power supply

I've been doing some research online, and it seems quite a few people have had this issue. Keep in mind this is a brand new machine, so cleaning dust, etc. is not necessary. My CPU idles at 31C. My 9800GT idles at 42C. there is no way my problem can be a heat issue. Whenever i run ANY game, the computer turns off as if the power was just cut off. No shutdown sequence, no error, no BSOD, nothing. The game starts, displays for 30-60 seconds, and then the machine powers off. With my idle temps being what they are, my system isn't going to shut itself down due to heat after only 60 seconds of MILD load.

From some other forums i've read, a lot of people seem to think it's the power supply. I wonder how it would do that though. The computer works 100% fine and fast as long as i'm not running a game. I can browse the web, organize my 10,000 mp3's, listen to music, burn a DVD, etc all at the same time without any issues. I fire up halo, half life 2, CS: Source, or any other game, and the computer shuts itself off within 60 seconds.

Any Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hey MJ ::: One item that you have to keep in mind is that when we run today's games on our baby's it is almost like benching the whole system,all that other stuff that you do is merely child's play for any of today's gaming machines,,so if your system is that new then do your self a favour and replace that power supply/or test the system with another tier 1 or 2 brand,you are not reporting any kind of error message either hardware or software oriented so there is only one logical conclusion to come to...Anyhow if it was me that would be my course of action,,otherwise you will have to troubleshoot the whole system,and you know what a PITA that will be...:)

Definitely sounds like a PSU problem. You can run normal tasks because it isn't stressing the PSU. As soon as you start a game and the GPU goes into 3D mode the PSU can't deliver enough clean power and the rig powers down.

Edit: I highly recommend a quality PSU from Corsair or PC Power & Cooling.

mjesenovec

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks for the quick response! I think it's the PSU definitely. my 9800gt was plugged into a rail 2 plug. I switched it to a rail one 6 pin PCI-E plug, that has more stuff plugged into it overall, and the computer actually turned off sooner than it usually does while running the CS:Source stress test video. My computer is pretty solid for what i paid, but it's by no means a top of the line beast. I hope there is actually something wrong with this psu, and not that it simply can't handle the power draw from the GPU when i fire up a game. It has to be the power supply, because unless i'm running a game, there's very little power drain from the 9800gt. i'll try to find a good deal on another psu, and just return this one.

mjesenovec

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

If there's one thing i know how to do...it's taking advice from someone who knowledgeable enough to give it. BETTER psu, here i come! :)

Here's a few to consider:

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=650tx $109.99 - $30.00 MIR

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009 $124.99 - $25.00 MIR

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=750tx $119.99 - $20.00 MIR

raider37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Definitely a PSU problem, since playing a gam can really stress the PSU especially with those components, i suggest buying a new (good quality) PSU as soon as possible, so that none of ure pc components get damaged due to bad volatge.

mjesenovec

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
thanks to everyone for all the help. I just placed an order for the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX. This 60Amp rail is going to be a beast...and it definitely shouldn't shut down on me at all. I looked at my current PSU ampere rating...and it only has 19A +12V rails. Dang...i didn't know these new GPU's and CPU's sucked so much juice. My friend called me an idiot for getting an "unnecessary 750W PSU." I can't wait to tell him that my computer drew too many amps and shut itself off...so i actually had to UPGRADE. haha, that'll be fun. I just find it hilarious that i dont have nearly a top of the line system...but i need a beast of a power supply. I guess i picked out good components then! gotta love $800 budget build-your-own black friday gaming pc's. :)

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
While that does sound like a power supply problem, I would first make sure you have plugged in all of the 6-pin power adapters that your GPU requires. Is it two? My 8800gts only needed one but my gtx260 requires two. Also keep in mind that the total amperage deliverable via 12v rails may be spread out across a few groups of wires. You may want to try using different cables to power your GPU.

It is certainly possible that you have a bad PSU, but you are hardly using half of it's rated output, so it would be pretty pathetic if it failed to power your system while still brand new. Double check everything and play around with different 12v combinations while you wait for your new part to arrive.

mjesenovec

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
thanks. I definitely will. my 9800gt only requires one 6 pin connector. I've tried using a connector from both rail 1 and rail 2, no dice. I find it amusing too that this 750W PSU can't handle my 9800...but i've read some reviews of my PSU and a few other people have mentioned the exact same problem i'm having. One guy even had my exact same GPU and same processor, on a Gigabyte mobo...and his would shut off seconds after starting a game. In this case, he got a "higher quality" PSU, and it has yet to shut off on him again. There really isn't any other explanation other than a faulty/incorrectly spec'd psu. my 750W Corsair should do me just fine when it arrives.

bedardmxz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
So My Friend After Your Post www.plpcperformance.co.cc my best technitien ever... find the probleme on my pc
so my config is

p5n-d
e6750 2.6 Zalman Heat Sink
Crucial ballistix tracer 2x1g
8800Gt Video card
sata2 wd 640 black
sata2 wd 500 blue
dvd rw x 2
psu thermaltake 650w tp
thermaltake soprano dx
windows 7 install brand new

i buy used motherboard p5n-d(last Bios 1101) from a guy have same probleme with and them all stock are test on p5n32-e sli and work fine but when i change the motherboard to p5n-d after 5 min in game shut down off no signal or beep
i check the ram timing and test with original timing 4.4.4.12 but nothing

i download the last chipset driver from nvidia and not from asus
for the video card same thing last on nvidia

and for the motherfucking bios with 1101 pc shut down off after 5min in game in Windows 7 the pc cant run all night no probleme
and i downgrade it with ez flash to 0801 and now blue screen in game after 5 or 10 min
and final i update it to 1001 and all default seting and runnning stable

15.51_nforce_win7_32bit_whql chipset driver
195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_international_whql for the video driver
bios 1001 work fine for me in all games no more motherfucking crash test it and send me reply

if the bug still there turn off screen saver and power management

reply at bedardmxz@live.ca if you have some problem