Value in upgrade from 3.0GHZ - 3.8GHz processor for 775 Board

offworlder

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I've got a custom made workstation that is based on the Asus 775 Motherboard (P5VD1-X) with a single processor, see below

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5VD1-X Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0704 11/16/2006

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

3072 Megabytes Installed Memory
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I do a lot of video editing and CS3 Photoshop work and am at a point of thinking upgrade with larger HD files choking my system, storage is not an issue as I have a couple TB RAID system in addition to what I have on-board. When I am done editing I move content to the RAID and only edit from the internal drives, a pair of 500GB WD, 7,200

Question is, for $80.00 is it worth upgrading the processor to a P4 3.8GHz CPU SL83U from my current processor, am I going to see much of an improvement?

Or, is it a waste of money and I'd be better to consider a new Main board, for example the ASUS P6T DELUXE with new processor? Of course this will start to get into the $400-500 all in assuming my current memory is compatible

Feedback appreciate :)

halcyon

Splendid
+1

Definitely move to newer platform. An i7 would completely rape and abuse your P4. Really, its not even in the same class. My wife has a Pent D 840 @ 3.2Ghz and it just blows me away how blindingly faster my C2Q and i7 are. I feel sorry for her but she like the way the Dell case looks so I don't have to upgrade for her (shakes head).

offworlder

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
lol on the rape and abuse,

The case is a jet black Antec Sonata and I also have several cards of vaule, i.e.

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT dual head
BENQ COMBO CB523C [CD-ROM drive]
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U [CD-ROM drive]
Firewire 800

so it I think it does not make sense to scape the case and start over, it would then be what is a good board (for editing) and CPU I could get for the money (say $400) which would fit into this mid-size tower. Also, could I use my existing memory and upgrade as this board topped out at the current 3GB

Thanks

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I hear problems with the P6T a lot, are you sure it has been fine halcyon?

In the end a board is a board, get the cheapest crossfire AND SLI board you can find, that's my advice.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

The MHz are not comparable in the slightest. The stock i7 920 is faster than a 5Ghz P4 easily because an old C2D at 3.0 Ghz was too.

mpain55

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
you need to get off the P4, they stopped making them years ago. Atleast upgrade to a core 2 duo or quad. putting anymore money into an already dead rig is wasteful at this point. your memory might be ddr1 instead of ddr2. I know my P4 rig used ddr1 however the later generations used ddr2, so make sure to check.

The i7 920 is the choice for most people - it won't overclock quite as high, but it will get close enough that it is rarely worth the extra cash (and this is even coming from the owner of a 965).

offworlder

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

I smell what you are cooking <g> I am not planning to put anything into this rig, just save the other vital organs, tks

offworlder

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

makes sense and since I also need to get a MAC, lol since I have to get Final Cut Pro I don't plan to sink too much into this puppy, just get it into the current decade <g>

Or you could stick a decent Phenom II quad system together any have enough money left over to purchase two 500Gb HDD's to put them into RAID0 and have a better system overall, pr stick twice as much RAM into it.

Either way I/O intensive / memory gains will more than offset the price of a high end i7 system if your going to spend the same amount of money.

Just my 50 cents worth.

You need to look at some kind of balance - sticking a V8 into a Volkswagon does nothing for the steering under power ... let alone the corners.

Plus the LGA 1366 socket is going to be orphaned soon ... while AM3 will last possibly longer.

AMD will stick a 6 core cpu into AM3 before Intel does LGA 1366.

Very controversial view ... but ... prove me wrong.

It is my understanding that photoshop and video editing respond well to multi cores and lots of ram.
Assuming that is the case, the i7 system is a winner.
The i7 is much faster, clock for clock than a P4.
There are 4 cores with hyperthreading, giving the appearance of 8 cores.
Ram can go to 24gb of ddr3, but 6gb is a good starting point.
A i7 will cost less than an equivalently clocked C2Q. The mobo and ram will cost a bit more. Perhaps +$100 depending...

The 920 with a tivial simple overclock runs at 3.3 all day long. The 940 or 965 can probably be pushed higher than a 920, but that is useful only for overclock record seekers.

My P6T deluxe has been problem free. The newer basic P6T is a better buy for most because it lacks only the integrated SAS controller on the P6T deluxe. Most won't want to install SAS drives, but the extra 2 ports could also attach SATA drives.

Keep the case, psu, vga card and dvd drives.

---good luck---

TRENDING THREADS