Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
MoBo: Gigabyte X48T-DQ6,
Power: Antec TruePower 1000W
Memory: one 2Gig stick OCZ PC3 14400
2 1Gig HDDs
1 lightscribe drive
VidCard: VisionTek X3870x2 1GB

When I first built the system it worked but occasionally rebooted.
After about a month I powered on and it rebooted after the windows loading screen goes away but before showing the desktop.
It just kept rebooting. I swapped out the video card for an x1900 - and it works. I can boot Vista.

I told VisionTek and they RMA'd me (what they say is) a new card, but I still get the continuous reboot.

I installed XP with the x3870 and that loads to the desktop.
If I run dxdiag it freezes on direct3d test, and eventually reboots.
If I run the 'Call of Juarez' demo that came with the card (in XP) it works, but when I exit I see a message 'VPU Recover has reset your graphics accellerator", and the desktop has been resized.

One other thing. When I do a fresh install both Vista and XP start in 640x480x4bit, which is not only ugly but makes it hard to use the fixed 800x600 Catalyst install window :) Could that be an indicator of a problem ?

I have reset the bios multiple times. Installed the card in each of (two) PCI slots. Installed Vista with no updates, and with SP1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I fear it is the motherboard ? - but then why does the x1900 work ? It's not dx10
I thought maybe the power supply - but it works fine in XP

A fresh install of Vista boots up, but as soon as I install the Catalyst driver - it no longer boots.
If I restore prior to the Cat install - I can boot again.
I tried the Catalys 8.2 that came with the card, and also 8.6 and 8.11 from VisionTeks site - all with the same result.

Can anyone help me ?

ajelcocks

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for the reply evongugg. Unfortunately I had already thought of that, but there are no Omega drivers available for Vista yet.