Ram issues (maybe) on an Asus Rampage II extreme

matt77

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hello everyone.

I apologise if people have had this issue and asked before, but I've looked in the forums and can't find anything eally.

Please be aware that I am a noob who wants to learn about computers.

I have 3X2 of Corsair DDR3 1600 and I think it's wonky.

I have had my PC for a few weeks now. All was fine at first. Then I started getting freezing, in games and in applications, then when the PC was just idle. I have tried to run memtest but it freezes during the test, and I have to reboot.

It's also begun freezing during prime95, whereas last week it didn't do this.

My temps are OK. Low 30s when idle, and mid 50s under full load (core temp readings).

Is my computer broken?! I've noticed a slowing in general performance too. People have said to check the bios, but I've no idea what I'm looking for really. Everything is on auto, which is the way I want it until I learn a bit more about computers.

Originally I thought it might be spyware or something, but I've even gone as far as to reinstall vista and run manifold virus/spyware checks and I've found nothing.

I did try and update my bios, and may have installed the wrong version (!) - don't ask me what it was because I don't remember. However, I went back into bios at a later date and went back to default settings, to exclude this as a possibility for my problems.

I tried using the windows memory diagnostic tool and it says the RAM is working fine. I have an asus rampage II mobo, and occassionally it emits a long beep when I reboot - apparently, this signifies a problem with the RAM.

Of course, all of this might not have anything to do with memory - in which case, any ideas?

Don't know what to do; I know you guys have a massive knowledge base, so was wondering if you could help me.

matt77

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Sorry

Intel i7 920 2.67 Ghz
Asus Rampage II Extreme (Intel X58)
NVidia GTX 260 896 MB
Corsair 6 GB (3X2GB) XMS3 DDR3 1600
Cooler Master HAF 932

BTW have run memtest86+ v.2.11 3 times now and no erros. So doesn't look like RAM. Please advise !!!

matt77

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

I don't think it'll be much consolation to you, but the issue I had turned out not to be RAM related at all - I only pursued it because people had told me it could be to do with memory. In fact it was my network card, whose driver doesn't like vista X64. So I got a third party driver and all is good. What's your problem. Still freezing up? I'm still a noob but I might be able to point you in the right direction.

matt77

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

I don't think it'll be much consolation to you, but the issue I had turned out not to be RAM related at all - I only pursued it because people had told me it could be to do with memory. In fact it was my network card, whose driver doesn't like vista X64. So I got a third party driver and all is good. What's your problem. Still freezing up? I'm still a noob but I might be able to point you in the right direction.

TRENDING THREADS