Overhaulling my PC, some noobies questions

wdevil

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I have been, for probably around 6-8 years, running a Pentium 4 3.0GHz socket 478 CPU on a ASUS P4C800-E mobo. I have 3.0GB of DDR400 RAM. I'm using an AGP Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS. I believe I have a 550W power supply. Also, I have two internal harddrives aside from my system drive (which I think is SATA) that I think are IDE instead of SATA, but I am not dependent on keeping them if I can transfer their data to new SATA drives.

It works great, but the technology is old. It only supports DDR-1, and it only has AGP slots. I am looking at buying a new mobo, a new CPU to go with it, and upgrading my RAM and GPU.

I've done some research but I always check this site, or get redirected here when searching for answers, so I'd like to make sure everything I have picked out will work properly, and if there are any peripherals I should get (I read a lot about custom cooling devices, etc. But my case has three fans on it, is that enough?).

I'm looking to get:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500

As far as RAM goes, the mobo says it uses DDR2 1333 RAM, but I can only find up to DDR2 1066 RAM on NewEgg. Will that work? Is there some sort of gap between what mobos take and what RAM is actually made?

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - SLI means that if I bought a second copy of this card, I could run both at once, correct? I've never had dual video cards before.

Most of my time on the computer is spent doing HD video editing as well as HD and Above-HD video motion graphics compositing. I also do a bit of gaming, sometimes while rendering out video stuff, so increased CPU power would be great.

Is everything I have listed able to work together? I have replaced RAM and GPUs in my time, but I've never done anyhting with mobos or CPUs, so I'm overly hesitant when it comes to cashing in on it.

Thanks for any help guys!

m_silkstone

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Looks like a solid build.
When people talk about custom cooling devices they are generally used when overclocking and mean the heatsink and fan for the CPU. 3 case fans are plenty.

1066Ram will work fine. The GeForce won't work in SLI with your build tho as your motherboard doesn't support it.
If you're thinking of going SLI in the future choose an ATI card (3870 or 4850) as your motherboard supports crossfire (Ati's answer to SLI)

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
If you're getting such big overhaul, just get a brand new comp.
Don't reuse your 6-8 years old PSU, it's probably degraded quite a bit by now.

Since you're doing a lot of video editing, I'd suggest you look into Core 2 Quad, Core i7 or AMD's Phenom X4. It'll be easier if you just give us a budget, I think people can suggest a build that way.