Sign in with
Your question

Help Please - Comp Turns off then won't restart.

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2008 7:38:16 PM

Ok I am really having two issues but first things first. This is my first complete build from scratch (but I have done some upgrading of stock and bare bones systems). Parts are as follows:

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) x2 for 8GB
PSU: Thermaltake toughpower W0105RU 700W ATX12V
GFX: GIGABYTE GV-R487-512H-B Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 x2
CASE: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
DVD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
HEAT SINK: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

My first issue is after I finished it booted up fine. Then I went to install Vista x64 and it couldn't detect my HDD. Trying different drivers and such didn't help (got them from gigabyte's web site). But thats actually the less important issue.

Main issue is that after I change anything in the bios and save & exit. or if the new SATA drivers didn't work for vista it wont reboot. It just turns off and refuses to turn on unless I let it sit for a couple mins. I've tried taking it out of the case and striping everything down to the bare essentials. I've tried flashing the bios to F2 ver since that is what officially supports the E0 stepping using a USB flash formated to FAT32. I tried removing the heat sink, cleaning off the paste, reapplying new thermal paste that didn't come preattached to the heat sink. I have not tried the standard intel heat sink yet tho. Once it does finally boot again it tends to just shut itself off after 5-10 mins of just idle in the bios (was watching the CPU temp to see if it was overheating). Now I am just am not sure what to try. Just not sure if its a faulty part/psu or if anything is overheating (never saw cpu go above 29/30C in the bios while it was left running, until it finally just cut off suddenly).

Second issue is just if anyone has any ideas to get the SATA drive to work once I finally get the whole unable to restart issue done.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(fixed editing)

More about : comp turns restart

December 7, 2008 4:01:53 PM

Here is a bit more specifics along with what I have since tried if it can help anyone else think of anything.

Its a brand new comp build and so it has no OS installed at all. It posted ok and still does on occasion. Its just after it runs for about 2-5 mins it turns itself off and will not boot up again, unless I let it sit for about 5-10 mins. If I try to turn it on before that the front LED goes on then off, the keyboard lights go on/off, the cpu fan only spins up then down.

I have since tried using an old pentium d chip I had and it still has the same issue. PSU "seems" ok since it was powering and old dell we had around. When the comp does work, the voltage seems good in the bios, all the ram is detected and at the right settings.

Is it just a motherboard issue? It hasn't even been a week so i can RMA my board and get a new one. I just figured I would post since maybe it was something else first.

One last thing is that the graphics card gets hot, hotter them I am used too. After it turned itself off I did go ahead and put in the 2nd one instead to see if it was just some kill switch thing... but it still did the same not boot for 5-10 mins of inactivity, I have heard that the card I have does get hot and I need to set the fan higher to keep it cool, but I obviously cannot do that yet.

Thanks again if anyone has any ideas or anything.
!