Need advice overclocking a 965 C3 over here!

G

So I splurged and picked up a PII X4 965 C3 last night. My entire goal is to break 4 Ghz. I am using my original PII X3 720 motherboard and I took out 4 gigs of DDR2 1066 (since the PII's can't run 2GBx4 at full speed and have to be downclocked to DDR2 800) and I just can't seem to get this machine stable.

I tried setting the voltage to automatic, that failed after 10 minutes of OCCT. Same when I pumped the volts to 1.5V.

I should mention my motherboard is a little older. a Gigabyte GA-Ma790GP-UD4H and I am running the F7a (beta) firmware. I did notice that my power supply was getting hot, so I think it might be the weak link in this equation. It's only a 500 Watt Thermaltake TruePower, and truth be told it's up around 3 years old or so. Also I used a converter cable to make the 4 pin (P4) into an 8 Pin for this motherboard.

I'm not running anything extravagant in this build. I was running my dual 4770's but I think that this PSU is getting too weak to support the power draw. At the moment I am only running 1 4770, albeit slightly overclocked. Also I only have one hard drive (A Samsung Spinright 250 GB) and a DVD-RW drive. The memory requires 2.1V and the CPU itself seems to do well with 1.4V stock. I don't think I have enough amps to run a decent overclock (especially since I've been running this machine overclocked and with the dual cards since last August and the PSU was about 1.5 years old at that time as well.

I haven't had any issues keeping the CPU cool while it was benchmarking at 4 Ghz (as I said, I can make it there fine, but after 10 minutes of OCCT, sometimes 3-5 minutes) I get BSOD and that's all she wrote. But when it's working I think I hit about 52-53C max.

So, any advice or insight? I'm pretty broke after getting this CPU so I might have to tough it out and keep it stock for now, but I might be able to at least swing a better PSU (I'm eying a Corsair Semi-modular 650W or an Antec Neopower 650) and hopefully the machine will be stable after that. At least stable and overclocked and powering my twin cards.

andrew149

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
your fine with a 500w power supply i was running at 965 at 1.4volts 2 overclocked 5770's liquid cooling and 8 fans i do have a brand new 500wat power supply thats highend for sale though

mfernicola

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I'm not convinced that its the power supply. My setup:

Athlon 635 @1.425v
4GB 1066 ram @2.1v
2x4850 in xfire
ASUS m4a79 750 FX

I have my setup plugged into a kill-a-watt and under full load (prime 95) I am pulling 240 watts. Mind you, the 4850's are idling during this but your situation should be the same (your 4770 should be idling under the OCCT test). With both cards under full load I am only pulling 350 watts.

I am thinking that f your PSU can power your 2x4770 setup it should be able to power your cpu at 1.5v (with your one 4770 idling).

I would lower the voltage on the CPU until you get the highest stable CPU voltage you can without the GPUs under load. Then run everything at load (CPU and GPU) and see what happens. If it passes at that time then you know it was the CPU causing the problem.

It would suck if you spent the money on a new PSU and only then found out that the PSU wasn't the problem....