Corrupted profiles on XP clients

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

We are getting a large number of corrupted profiles in our domain. The
clients are running Windows XP SP1. The domain controllers and where we
store the saved are at Windows 2003 Server level. This are all roaming
profiles.

The corrupted on the clients looks like the following (creates a different
directory): username.domain.000

Are there any hotfixes or technet articles explaining why this is happening?

I didn't mean to cross-post but I am not sure where this topic should go.

--
Eric Sabo
NT Administrator

Hi Sabo,

I suggest that we work on this issue in this windows
xp newsgroup. I think you are experiencing the issue
that is described in the following article:

228445 User Profile Storage in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228445

If another user account logging on to the same
computer logs on from an identically named source
(whether a domain or local computer) and the SIDs of
the two accounts are not the same (this could occur
if the user accounts were re-created and the user
logged on to the same computer), a new folder would
be created with an extension denoting how many times
the profile experienced this exception. For example:

- For the first user: <Windows 2000 installation
drive>:\Documents and Settings\username
[NEWDOMAIN].000

- For the second user: <Windows 2000 installation
drive>:\Documents and Settings\username
[NEWDOMAIN].001

- And so on.
~~~~~~

Please feel free to let us know if anything is
unclear or if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

and confers no rights.
--------------------
>From: "Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu>
>Subject: Corrupted profiles on XP clients
>Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:46:55 -0400
>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,micros
oft.public.windows.server.general

>We are getting a large number of corrupted profiles
in our domain. The
>clients are running Windows XP SP1. The domain
controllers and where we
>store the saved are at Windows 2003 Server level.
This are all roaming
>profiles.
>
>The corrupted on the clients looks like the
following (creates a different
>directory): username.domain.000
>
>Are there any hotfixes or technet articles
explaining why this is happening?

>I didn't mean to cross-post but I am not sure where
this topic should go.

>--
>Eric Sabo
>NT Administrator

William,
Thanks for replying to my question. I am going to check into this.

I will get back to you.

"William Wang[MSFT]" <v-rxwang@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Sabo,
>
> I suggest that we work on this issue in this windows
> xp newsgroup. I think you are experiencing the issue
> that is described in the following article:
>
> 228445 User Profile Storage in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228445
>
> If another user account logging on to the same
> computer logs on from an identically named source
> (whether a domain or local computer) and the SIDs of
> the two accounts are not the same (this could occur
> if the user accounts were re-created and the user
> logged on to the same computer), a new folder would
> be created with an extension denoting how many times
> the profile experienced this exception. For example:
>
> - For the first user: <Windows 2000 installation
> drive>:\Documents and Settings\username
> [NEWDOMAIN].000
>
> - For the second user: <Windows 2000 installation
> drive>:\Documents and Settings\username
> [NEWDOMAIN].001
>
> - And so on.
> ~~~~~~
>
> Please feel free to let us know if anything is
> unclear or if you need further assistance.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> William Wang
> Microsoft Online Support Engineer

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.

> and confers no rights.
> --------------------
> >From: "Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu>
> >Subject: Corrupted profiles on XP clients
> >Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:46:55 -0400
> >Newsgroups:
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,micros
> oft.public.windows.server.general
> >
> >We are getting a large number of corrupted profiles
> in our domain. The
> >clients are running Windows XP SP1. The domain
> controllers and where we
> >store the saved are at Windows 2003 Server level.
> This are all roaming
> >profiles.
> >
> >The corrupted on the clients looks like the
> following (creates a different
> >directory): username.domain.000
> >
> >Are there any hotfixes or technet articles
> explaining why this is happening?
> >
> >I didn't mean to cross-post but I am not sure where
> this topic should go.
> >

> >--
> >Eric Sabo
> >NT Administrator

William,
I check on one machine, it definitely has the WINNT directory which
would suggest that this machine was upgrade from NT/2000 to Windows XP.

What do you recommend as a fix for this problem?

"William Wang[MSFT]" <v-rxwang@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Sabo,
>
> I suggest that we work on this issue in this windows
> xp newsgroup. I think you are experiencing the issue
> that is described in the following article:
>
> 228445 User Profile Storage in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228445
>
> If another user account logging on to the same
> computer logs on from an identically named source
> (whether a domain or local computer) and the SIDs of
> the two accounts are not the same (this could occur
> if the user accounts were re-created and the user
> logged on to the same computer), a new folder would
> be created with an extension denoting how many times
> the profile experienced this exception. For example:
>
> - For the first user: <Windows 2000 installation
> drive>:\Documents and Settings\username
> [NEWDOMAIN].000
>
> - For the second user: <Windows 2000 installation
> drive>:\Documents and Settings\username
> [NEWDOMAIN].001
>
> - And so on.
> ~~~~~~
>
> Please feel free to let us know if anything is
> unclear or if you need further assistance.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> William Wang
> Microsoft Online Support Engineer

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.

> and confers no rights.
> --------------------
> >From: "Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu>
> >Subject: Corrupted profiles on XP clients
> >Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:46:55 -0400
> >Newsgroups:
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,micros
> oft.public.windows.server.general
> >
> >We are getting a large number of corrupted profiles
> in our domain. The
> >clients are running Windows XP SP1. The domain
> controllers and where we
> >store the saved are at Windows 2003 Server level.
> This are all roaming
> >profiles.
> >
> >The corrupted on the clients looks like the
> following (creates a different
> >directory): username.domain.000
> >
> >Are there any hotfixes or technet articles
> explaining why this is happening?
> >
> >I didn't mean to cross-post but I am not sure where
> this topic should go.
> >

> >--
> >Eric Sabo
> >NT Administrator

Hi Sabo,

This is an expected behavior and is not needed to be
fixed. Those files are not corrupt, they are created
because when another user with the same name from the
same domain or computer logs onto the machine, a .000
suffix to the domain or computer name is added. If
the action happens again, Windows XP then starts
incrementing the .000 by one.

For more information, you can refer to the following
articles:

228445 User Profile Storage in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228445

269378 Differences in the User Profiles in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269378

wrote in message
>> Hi Sabo,
>>
>> I suggest that we work on this issue in this
windows
>> xp newsgroup. I think you are experiencing the
issue
>> that is described in the following article:
>>
>> 228445 User Profile Storage in Windows 2000
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228445
>>
>> If another user account logging on to the same
>> computer logs on from an identically named source
>> (whether a domain or local computer) and the SIDs
of
>> the two accounts are not the same (this could occur
>> if the user accounts were re-created and the user
>> logged on to the same computer), a new folder would
>> be created with an extension denoting how many
times
>> the profile experienced this exception. For
example:

>> - For the first user: <Windows 2000 installation
>> drive>:\Documents and Settings\username
>> [NEWDOMAIN].000
>>
>> - For the second user: <Windows 2000 installation
>> drive>:\Documents and Settings\username
>> [NEWDOMAIN].001
>>
>> - And so on.
>> ~~~~~~
>>
>> Please feel free to let us know if anything is
>> unclear or if you need further assistance.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> William Wang
>> Microsoft Online Support Engineer

>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via
>> your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit
>> from your issue.

>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties,
>> and confers no rights.
>> >From: "Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu>
>> >Subject: Corrupted profiles on XP clients
>> >Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:46:55 -0400

microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,micros
>> oft.public.windows.server.general
>> phx.gbl

microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage:23138