Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD OC settings?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 21, 2010 2:40:03 PM

Okay, some of you are going to ROTFLOL when you read this but please be nice. I'm going to OC my new system a bit. Never done that before but since mobo mfrs are making this easier and easier I figure why not. May just use the GUI that comes with the Gigabyte X58 UD5 to do this from inside the OS. Haven't decided yet. Anyway, I read somewhere that if you OC the CPU and/or RAM that you have to do something to HDD BIOS settings. Okay, I'm a pretty logical guy ... engineering degree, software developer, database developer, etc. When something sounds funny I ask. And this sounded funny but there may be something to it so I thought I'd ask. Better to ask if you don't know.

More about : hdd settings

a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 3:07:05 PM

You edit the settings in your Bios (In your Case on your MOBO 4 Chips(Quad Bios))
This information is saved to the bios.

I'm a gigabyte Fan boy and a Delphi Noob!!!
To acces your Bios Press the [Del] button as you enter post(just as the PC starts Up).

Before I say anymore i suggest you read the stickies and give an idea on the speeds that you want your machine to run @. (Be logical don't Hope too High)

Give Us feedback When you've read Up, Thanks!

Welcome To Toms Hardware:D 
m
l

Best solution

a c 197 K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 8:15:29 PM

You are much better off learning to use the BIOS than using the OC utility that comes with the motherboard.

For an X58 motherboard,
Overshocked's i7 Overclocking Guide (LGA1366)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overcl...
Overshocked i7 Overclocking - What does what
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/256021-11-core-over...
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 8:21:39 PM

DO NOT INSTALL DES (Dynamic Energy Saver) AND DO NOT OC via Windows!

Those are two rules you should never break if you value your money, data,etc.
m
l
April 22, 2010 12:06:03 AM

Okay. Thanks folks. I will read up on this and not use the OS GUI OC tools. I had a little feeling that wasn't the way to go. I am fine with working with the BIOS. I've done it many times, just not for OCing anything. Gotta learn that now I guess.

I looked up Dynamic Energy Saver. I guess you're saying that it should be turned off in the BIOS in order to OC? That it is installed and running by default?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 1:40:08 AM

^ No, DES is a software: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2425
There have been quite a bit of reports of that software causing BSODs. When you install drivers, don't run the "Auto/Express" install. Download and run all drivers (minus DES) manually.
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:57:50 AM

Okay thanks. Noted. I already downloaded all the latest drivers for my hardware. That must have been in their utilities page and I didn't go over those yet.

Kind of out of place in this group but it kind of ties in with the thread: In the past I've been used to installing RAID drivers from a floppy with F6 during pre Windows installation. But I called Gigabyte and they said you can do it from the CD that's included. Since I'm not going to use the CD and instead use the drivers I downloaded, can I do it from a flash drive or should I burn the driver to a CD? I'm wasn't planning on installing an FDD on this machine. Maybe I should anyway. I always have in the past. Rarely use them any more but sometimes handy. This board has a connector for one. I was going to buy a USB external but maybe I should just get an internal.
m
l
April 23, 2010 1:59:28 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ No, DES is a software: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2425
There have been quite a bit of reports of that software causing BSODs. When you install drivers, don't run the "Auto/Express" install. Download and run all drivers (minus DES) manually.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but wanted to thank you for the heads up on DES. I installed it just to get the cool little LEDs working on my Gigabyte board. Thanks again shadow for the link. :) 
m
l
a c 154 K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 2:22:19 AM

I sometimes use the Asus "in windows" tools to test certain settings. Some settings will work "in windows" but not on boot and many of these often later disappear with a BIOS update or setting tweak. But I use the windows tools strictly for experimentation and then make all final settings via BIOS. Asus' OC Station also provides access to OC settings via hardware and the new Rampage III Extreme lets you adjust BIOS settings numerous ways including a laptop, or even your iPhone while in windows.

http://www.vortez.co.uk/contentteller/articles_pages/as...

A tool is a tool is a tool......some tools are good for a wide range of uses, some are only good for a more limited function....this is how I see windows or other direct hardware access OC tools. Back when they "first hit the streets" they were very problematic and the "never use mantra" was well deserved. Today, my feeling is the tool is useful for certain tasks but for other tasks, the BIOS method is where ya wanna do your final settings.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 3:00:44 AM

^Well put. Imo, the only use I found for those software OC tools (for CPU) was when I was trying to break HW bot records last summer(where a 20-50Mhz makes a lot of difference). Windows just becomes really unstable at some of these high OC BIOS settings, and the software allows you to by pass this some what. Again, like Jack said, you want to do your 24/7 stable OC via the BIOS.
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:00:07 AM

Best answer selected by avianrand.
m
l
!