Sata Hard drive not being detected at all.. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_Done

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi,
A while ago i set my dad up with a new computer. the motherboard i chose was an Asus P5KPL SE.
he has been using a Maxtor IDE HDD but now wants more storage space. i got him a sata drive and it is just not being recognised - not even by the bios. i know the drive works because i'v tested it on another system and it worked a treat. i know it's getting power in his computer because i can feel it spin up and it gets a a little warmer after it's been on. but it just isn't being detected. he has a fresh installation of windows 7. i have updated the bios, still not recognised. there don't seem to be any conflicts that i am aware of. could it be that all 4 on board sata ports don't work? or is there something i'm missing?
i have been looking for possible solutions in these forums and just can't find anything..
Any help would be appreciated.
if any more info is needed to try diagnose a problem i can provide it.
Thanks!

Adam_Done

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Is the power cable AND sata cable plugged in to the hdd?

Does it show in device manager? Go under disk in device manager and right click it and "scan for hardware changes" or under "view" choose show hidden devices.
Hopefully this will assign it a drive letter.

I had a similiar problem and I can't remember how exactly I did it.

both power and data cables are in properly. drive has power and spins up. will not show in bios, doesn't show in disk management, 3rd party utilities can't find a second drive.

88Baz

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
did it come with disks try on your other computer see if it needs updating or you need a driver for win 7 , it may work

Adam_Done

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
a bit of an update...
i took the motherboard back to the shop where they tested it and the sata drive wasn't recognised there either. they swapped the board there and then.
i get back home set up the new board and the sata drive is STILL not being detected.
so either i have had the worst luck and got 2 bad boards, or else something else is the problem.
does anyone else here have this motherboard? does sata work on it?
2 different boards, different hardware configurations and neither works... i'm losing my mind...

Adam_Done

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Can't remember the model, but it's a 320GB Maxtor. i know the drive isn't at fault. i have tried over 5 different known working drives in it... still no luck.

Adam_Done

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

tried all possible jumper settings... still nothing...

i'm starting to think my only solution is taking a chainsaw to it.....

Adam_Done

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

been through all the bios settings. sata is enabled.

Adam_Done

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

yea tried 5 different data cables, different power cables, different psu, i tried it without the 1st IDE drive.

does anyone here have the asus p5kpl se mobo?
has anyone heard of any known issues?

Borgia_26

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
same problem with this mainboard the diference that i've tried 2 diferent hard drives, one with sata 1 and one with sata II the fisrt is western digital 80 G the second is samsung 250 G,
Just made un bios update but no luck here,
The funny part is that i'm using an old ide hard drive and is working, i've managed to instal windows 7 and post this!!!
SO is a mainboard seroius problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.