Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible to ground a UPS?

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2008 3:42:49 AM

Hi guys, the electricity supply to my house isn't grounded at the moment which means all my equipment, Speakers, LCD and printer have small current going through them. Now they are all connected to my computer which also has a samll current going through it and lots of small currents = 1 big current.
I've grounded my case via 2 copper AV wire going to a copper water pipe, but it isn't very effective.
If i bought a UPS would it be possible to ground it then anything i also plugged into it would also be grounded? how would i do this?

More about : ground ups

December 7, 2008 11:18:46 PM

you need to ground your house immediately.!! is there a reason it isn't grounded.??

look and see if there is a stake outside the house with a thick solid copper wire coming out of the house 'BOLTED' to it. usually under the breaker/fuse box if it's outside

your cable and phone lines need to be grounded separately.. if you don't have a grounded house, you can become the ground,

there is a little yellow device at the hardware store that has a 3 prong plug on it and some colored LED's, it only costs a couple dollars. you plug it in to a socket and the 3 LED's light up and tell you if the circuits are proper.. there is a lite to tell you if the line is grounded.. need to check every circuit for every breaker/fuse in the house. this is only a fundamental tool. but it could tell you of a BAD ground, NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR AN ELECTRITIONS INSPECTION,

i was shorted to ground with 220 volts at 350 amps, i had the heavy duty Romex by the backend of a long coil .. maybe 20 feet left in the box still in a little coil. i started to cut it off by my hand, then thought.. " i'll trim the end then pull this back thru, i can use it in the box.." i cut a 1/2 " off the end and thewire exploded like dynamite and burned to about a foot from my left hand in a millisecond. they said i dissappeared in a big orange and blue ball. i was severely burned all over and sun glasses saved my eyes from the molten steel and copper beads that were blown into the skin of my face arms and chest. my tee shirt was completely burned off my body as was my beard and hair. but i was still blinded by the flash of the plasms arc vaporizing the pliers and copper wire. the only reason it didnt kill me was it burned the 19 feet of 4 core wire long enough to trip the breaker. my work mates had run an extension from another line to the machine i had "locked & tagged out"

SINCE YOU SUSPECT A PROBLEM YOU NEED TO GO TO "ANGIE'S LIST" OR YELLOW PAGES AND CALL A CERTIFIED ELECTRICIAN AND ASK FOR AN ESTIMATE FOR YOUR PROBLEM.. SOME ARE FREE OTHERS MAY CHARGE YOU A SERVICE FEE.. ASK, IT'S WORTH IT HAVE EM CHECK YOUR HOUSE

IF YOU RENT THE LAND LORD HAS TO FIX IT.. THE YELLOW TESTER WILL BE A GOOD TOOL TO BACK UP YOUR REQUEST IF THE LITES ON IT AREN'T RIGHT. poor grounding is a very dangerous situation,
December 7, 2008 11:54:04 PM

That's the craziest thing I've read on these forums. Definitely important to be careful with improper wiring, get someone out there as quick as possible to examine your problem.
Related resources
December 8, 2008 3:27:49 AM

I'll speak to the landlord but as i'm not in the US or Europe (i'm in Asia) i doubt she will do anything. If i point out that it could be a fire hazard and the house could burn down she might listen, but then again these people generally just laugh at these kind of situations.
At my place of work there were workmen in painting the exterior. 10 story building, using 1 metal and 1 bamboo ladder tied together. the ladder was tied with a 1/4" rope at the top and only the people on the upper part of the ladder were tied on (to the ladder) with a nylon rope around their waist.
One of the security gaurds cam up to me pointed smiling and said my country number 1! Crazy situation. I've also seen 12 year olds working on bridge construction which is another story all together.
December 8, 2008 3:51:22 AM

Oh damn, and i though America was bad, make me proud to have so many laws, and rights. No offense. However yea i would bring up that its a fire hazard and that the house could burn down. If that does nothing say something along the lines that that's involuntary man slaughter (or something along those lines) if you die in the fire, because it has been brought up to her and she knows its a threat.

However if there are no child labor laws then i don't know how strict your landlaws are...
December 8, 2008 3:55:26 AM

There are no landlaws either :(  if the house were to burn down due to an electrical fault i would be responsible because i was living here at the time! Crazy
December 8, 2008 3:59:04 AM

Holy Jebus! well i don't know what to tell ya bro =/ umm...short from moving you are going to have to hire an Electrician to fixy your BooBoo, however bring up what we told you to your landlady first.

Oh try and do the electrical tester that 1handclapn suggested. Do his handyman fix then test it again.
December 8, 2008 4:15:25 AM

I'll try to find one and bring it up with the landlord. I'm not too concerned about the rest of the house. But if i get a thicker copper wire and ground my PC Case using that, my computer should be safe right?
Original question was if i could hook the same wire to a metal part of the ups and ground all my equipment (printer+monitor+speakers). I know it's not ideal, but would it work?
!